A puss-filled horse tooth has spelled the end of Victoria Max-Theurer’s Olympic dressage dreams.
The Austrian's 11-year-old horse, Abegglen NRW, had been behaving strangely in training and, while the Olympic opening ceremony was underway on Friday night, a health check and X-Ray revealed a tooth infection. It would have been her fifth Olympic start.
"This news is a heavy setback for Victoria. We hope that Abegglen will feel better soon and that Victoria will continue on her path," said Peter Mennel, of the Austrian Olympic Committee.
Max-Theurer’s team mates Christian Schumach and Florian Bacher will now compete only as individuals.
On Saturday and Sunday the world's best riders and horses in dressage, also known as "horse ballet", will compete in qualifiers for a chance to win team and individual medals on July 27 and 28.
Germany’s Isabell Werth, the most decorated Olympian of her sport, and Britain's dressage world number one Charlotte Dujardin, are hot medal contenders.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Australia wins toss and opts to bat; No Ashwin, Ishan in playing XI
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new WR; India beats Singapore 13-0 in hockey, tennis results
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles Round of 64, Mixed Doubles R-32 updates; Live action at 1:30pm
- Asian Games 2023: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol women’s final, Manu Bhaker finishes fifth
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games 2023: Sift wins gold with WR, Ashi bronze in 50m rifle 3P; Esha wins 25m women’s pistol silver; India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold- Hangzhou 2022 updates