There was no dramatic twist to the Indian script as the young Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar shot 1167 and placed 21st in men’s 50-metre rifle 3-position event in the Olympics on Monday.
Even though he missed the final by nine points, it was a commendable effort from the 20-year-old Aishwary, as the seasoned Sanjeev Rajput, competing in his third Olympics shot 1157 for the 32nd spot.
Aishwary had 397 in kneeling and 391 in prone, but lost his way in the standing position with 379, which saw him placed 21st in a field of 39 shooters.
The 21-year-old Zhang Changhong of China shot a world record 466.0 in the final to push the Rio Olympics silver medallist Sergey Kamenskiy to another silver. Both Zhang and Kamenskiy had topped qualification with 1183.
In the 25-metre rapid fire pistol event, Jean Quiquampoix of France won the gold, by beating the London Olympics gold medallist Leuris Pupo 34-29 in the final. The Frenchman, who had won the Osijek World Cup this season, had clinched the silver in the last Olympics in Rio.
The gold medallist in Rio, Christian Reitz of Germany topped qualification with 587, but placed fifth.
China topped the shooting medals table by winning 11 of the 45 on offer. It had four gold and six bronze. US and Russian Olympic Committee followed with three and two gold medals respectively. Czech Republic, Switzerland, Spain, France, Iran and Slovakia won a gold medal each, as 19 countries managed to win at least a medal in shooting.
India drew a blank for the second successive Olympics after Rio.
Men: 25m rapid fire pistol: 1. Jean Quiquampoix (Fra) 34 (586); 2. Leuris Pupo (Cub) 29 (583); 3. Li Yuehong (Chn) 26 (582).
50m rifle 3-position: 1. Zhang Changhong (Chn) 466.0 (WR) 1183; 2. Sergey Kamenskiy (ROC) 464.2 (1183); 3. Milenko Sebic (Srb) 448.2
(1180); 21. Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar 1167; 32. Sanjeev Rajput 1157.
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: India wins two silver medals; Women’s cricket team beats Bangladesh in semis; Ramita, Mehuli in 10m Air Rifle Final at 9:15AM IST
- India thumps Bangladesh women in semifinal, confirms first Asian Games medal in cricket
- IND vs BAN LIVE Score Asian Games 2023, women’s cricket semifinal: India beats Bangladesh by 8 wickets, advances to finals
- Guardiola praises Manchester City’s resilience as Rodri sees red
- India vs Thailand Table Tennis Live Score Asian Games 2023: Ayhika leads 2-1 after Manika’s loss; men’s team faces Kazakhstan - Hangzhou 2022 updates