Indian fencer Bhavani Devi won gold at the Commonwealth Fencing Championship 2022 in the senior women’s sabre individual category.
The 42nd ranked Bhavani defeated the second-seeded Australian Veronika Vasileva 15-10 in the sabre final to secure the gold medal.
Earlier in July, Bhavani lost her round of 32 duel, 12-15, against Germany’s Larissa Eifler at the World Fencing Championships.
Devi’s exit meant she failed to equal her performance at the 2019 World Championships, where she had reached the Round of 16 . She beat Canada’s Gabriella Page 15-14 to advance to the Round of 32.
The Commonwealth Fencing Championship 2022 is Bhavani’s 10th international tournament of this year and has performed commendably so far.
Fencing as a sport is recognised by the Commonwealth Games Federation and was a part of the Commonwealth Games programme till 1970. Since 1970, the Commonwealth Fencing Championships are held every four years in the same year as the Commonwealth Games.
- Mumbai Indians part ways with bowling coach Shane Bond
- NZ vs AFG LIVE Score, ICC World Cup 2023 Updates: Predicted Playing XI, Toss at 1.30pm
- SA vs NED, ODI World Cup 2023: Death bowling and poor start with bat reason for shock defeat, says Proteas coach Walter
- India vs Iran kabaddi Asian Games final harder than Kargil posting, says head coach Edachery Bhaskaran
- England lacking confidence, must get on the front foot at World Cup: Mott