Indian wrestler Ritu Phogat is set to make her professional mixed martial arts debut, taking on Korea’s Nam Hee Kim in an atomweight contest at the Cadillac Arena in Beijing, China on November 16.
“I want to become a mixed martial arts World Champion, and everything I’m doing now is preparing me for that,” said the 25-year-old Indian ahead of her first foray into the mixed martial arts arena.
“I made the decision to jump into this with my full heart and will. My goal is to become the first Indian woman to win a mixed martial arts World Championship. I believe I’m in a great position to represent my country and I want to inspire as many women as I can. It’s an honor.”
Phogat is a Commonwealth Wrestling Championships gold medalist, World U23 Wrestling World Championships silver medalist, Asian Wrestling Championships bronze medalist, and multiple-time Indian National Wrestling Champion.
The atomweight category is for competitors weighing at or less than 48 kg.
- Inter Miami vs Atlanta United Live Score: ATL 3-1 MIA, Is Lionel Messi playing for Miami, MLS, Soccer updates
- Neeraj Chopra finishes 2nd in Diamond League finals, Vadlejch wins
- Neeraj Chopra ends 2nd, Diamond League finals HIGHLIGHTS: Vadlejch becomes champion with 84.24m attempt
- VIDEO: Messi returns to Inter Miami ahead of match against Atlanta
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores again as Al Nassr beats Al Raed 3-1 in Saudi Pro League