The controversy around some sports being asked to foot their own bill for ceremonial and competition kits at the Asian Games appeared to finally end after both the IOA and the sports ministry insisted that the concerned federations would not have to pay for the same.
Some of the non-affiliated NSFs had claimed they were asked to pay for their athletes' kits at Jakarta.
But IOA president Narinder Batra insisted it was a case of miscommunication. “It is obvious anyone representing India at the Games is part of the Indian contingent and as such, our responsibility, regardless of his or her sport. When we have official sponsors for the kits, it is for all athletes,” Batra said.
“What might have happened is that certain sports have specialised training and competition kits. The respective federations, therefore, might have been asked to get the kits made as per requirements and would be then reimbursed by the IOA for the same,” he added.
Sports minister Rajyavardhan Rathore also stepped in, announcing that no team would have to bear any expenses.
“No team participating in #AsianGames2018 will have to bear the expenses of kit & uniform by themselves. I have directed @IndiaSports @Media_SAI to issue kits and apparel to Every team representing India,” Rathore tweeted.
Out of the 37 disciplines India is competing in at the Asian Games, eight - bridge, kurash, pencak silat, roller skating, sambo, sepaktakraw, soft tennis, and sport climbing are not recognised by the IOA but make up 114 of the 541 athletes announced so far.
Of these, kurash, sambo and sports climbing do not have any recognition from the ministry either and have been included in the Asiad programme for the first time.
- U Mumba vs UP Yoddhas LIVE Score, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Zafardanesh, Guman give consolidate lead for Mumba: UM 19-14 UPY
- Hyderabad FC vs Mohun Bagan SG LIVE score and updates, HFC 0-1 MBSG ISL 2023-24, Hamill scores opening goal for Mohun Bagan
- EURO 2024 draw: All you need to know about European Championship draw, pots, live streaming info
- EURO 2024 Draw live Updates: Final groups for European Championship to be decided, live streaming info
- Gujarat Giants 38-32 Telugu Titans Highlights, Pro Kabaddi League 2023: Sonu shines with super-10 to help Giants beat Titans in season opener