GR Viswanath was conferred the Lifetime Achievement Award while Sachin Tendulkar, MS Dhoni and Mithali Raj were also honoured in the 2021 Sportstar Aces Awards on Friday.
“To receive a recognition of this nature at this stage of my life is an unexpected and very pleasant surprise,” Viswanath said.
Tendulkar shared his ambitions for the sport in the country in the years to come. “I hope India moves from being a sport-loving nation to a sport-playing one. We will have a younger, healthier and fitter India,” said the 47-year-old, who was honoured with the Inspirational Giant of Indian Sport award.
India ODI captain Raj credited her support staff and coaches on winning the Sportswoman of the Decade (Cricket). “ I would like to acknowledge the contribution of various coaches who have worked tirelessly towards the growth of my game and my physios and trainers who worked very hard on my fitness and injury management,” she said.
The 2011 World Cup-winning Indian team was also honoured with the National Team of the Decade award, coincidentally on the 10th anniversary of the triumph.
Anantapur Sports Academy won the inaugural Sportstar Aces Sports for Good award their work in rural Andhra Pradesh using grassroot sports programmes as a tool. “We decided to institute this award to recognise dedicated organisations who are using sport as a medium of social change to benefit rural youth.'' We hope this motivates others to follow their example,” Malini Parthasarathy, Chairperson of The Hindu Group said.
Latest on Sportstar
- England’s Leach ruled out of Ashes 2023 with stress fracture
- In England, you never feel in but you will have an intuition when to attack: Rohit Sharma
- Namibia beats Karnataka in second one-dayer, levels series 1-1
- Real Madrid vs Athletic Bilbao; La Liga LIVE: Courtois saves an early penalty; stalemate continues; RMA 0-0 ATH
- Formula 1: Hamilton hails ‘mega job’ by Mercedes, focussed on next year