India will complete 75 years of Independence this year. Here is a series acknowledging 75 great sporting achievements by Indian athletes. Sportstar will present one iconic sporting achievement each day, leading up to August 15, 2022.
1978: Michael Ferreira becomes first player to surpass 1000 points barrier in National Billiards Championship
‘The Bombay Tiger’ Michael Ferreira is a four-time World Billiards Champion and seven-time National champion.
In 1978, he became the first player to surpass the 1000 points barrier in the National Billiards Championship, a record that remains unbeaten even today.
Aside from this, he has broken 13 other records in the sport.
He has won numerous awards, including the Padma Bhushan, the Arjuna Award, the Dronacharya Award.
[BOX] Special mention: Wilson Jones was India’s first cue sports superstar. A look at the awards he has amassed through his playing career tell us why.
Padma Shri, Arjuna Award, Dronacharya Award and a whole list of billiards and snookers titles point to him being the starting point of India’s penchant for the disciplines.
In 1958, Jones won the World Amateur Billiards Championship to give India its first world champion across any sport. He won the title again in 1964 and also won the National Billiards Championship 12 times.
[This article was first published in Sportstar on August 15, 2021]
- Para Asian Archery C’ship 2023: India’s compound teams win three gold; Rakesh, Sheetal shine
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues
- Cummins on ODI World Cup win: This Australian team has created its own legacy
- Transgender cricketer retires after ICC ruling
- Indian Oil Corporation stuns Railways in a thriller, wins Inter-Department National Championship