Despite the overwhelming success in the international arena, from Commonwealth Games to Youth Olympics, Indian shooting is constantly on trial!
Perhaps, the National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) believes that the frequent trials, which are as good as the national championships, as they attract the cream of talent as well as big numbers, is the core strength of its system.
With the National championship itself round the corner, and the international season having ended, it may be perplexing to the best supporters of Indian shooting about the purpose of the fresh set of selection trials to be staged at the Dr. Karni Singh Range, Tughlakabad, from Wednesday.
However, that has not discouraged the eligible from jumping into the fray, including Jitu Rai, who recently got married in Sikkim.
Of course, the NRAI had made it a little light for the shooters competing internationally, by specifying that they would be allowed to shoot only one of the two trials if they had competed in the Asian Games and the World Championship.
These will be the sixth and seventh trials for rifle and pistol this season. It will start with men’s air pistol and women’s sport rifle prone match.
It will be followed by women’s air pistol, rifle 3-position and men’s rapid fire pistol over the next two days.
Thereafter, it will be women’s air rifle and men’s free rifle prone, along with standard pistol. Men’s air rifle , women’s sports pistol along with men’s free pistol will feature over the next two days.
The trials, starting on Wednesday, will continue till October 26, winding up with the men’s free rifle 3-position and centre fire pistol events.
- New Zealand eyes comeback win in second Test against Bangladesh
- SLC files anti-graft commission complaint against ex-sports minister Ranasinghe
- ‘New Leicester’ Girona can win LaLiga, says ex-Spain player Luis Garcia
- Shooter loses left thumb after pistol’s gas cylinder explodes at Karni Singh Range
- T20 World Cup 2024: Ravi Bishnoi emerges as India’s third spin option after successful outing against Australia