Returning to the professional circuit post the Commonwealth Games, Joshna Chinappa and Dipika Pallikal Karthik had contrasting first round experience in the El Gouna International 2018, a PSA world series event on Friday. While Joshna courted success, Dipika failed.
In a tournament where the world's best women players are on view, the 16 seeded Joshna came back from a game in arrears to put it past wild card entrant Rowan Reda Araby(Egy) 8-11, 11-8, 14-12, 11-4. Her round two opponent is the former world number one and seeded eight here Nicol David of Malaysia.
Dipika had a tougher opponent in Camille Serme of France. The sixth seeded player wore down the fighting Indian 12-10, 11-7, 14-12.
- Sports bodies ask IOC to allow Russians as neutral athletes for 2024 Paris Olympics
- Barcelona’s Marc-Andre ter Stegen to undergo surgery for lower back issue
- Javier Tebas to remain La Liga president until 2027
- Karun Nair hopes for national comeback after career reset with Vidarbha
- American team Trackhouse replaces RNF on 2024 MotoGP grid