The Indian pair of Soumyajit Ghosh and Sathiyan Gnanasekaran went down fighting 13-11, 7-11, 4-11, 11-6, 5-11 to the top-seeded Japanese pair of Jin Ueda and Maharu Yoshimura in the Men's Doubles finals at the ITTF World Tour Bulgaria Open on Sunday.
The Indians put up a tough fight take the tie down to a the deciding fifth set, but it was the more experienced Japanese pair that prevailed. The Japanese duo upped the ante in the decider to clinch the match and with that, the gold medal.
For Ueda and Yoshimura, this was their second title in three World Tour final appearances.
However, for Ghosh and Sathiyan this was their first appearance together in a men doubles final. The Indian pair's second-place finish marks India's best performance in the men's doubles department in nearly a decade.
- World Cup 2023: New Zealand team preview, squad, key players, form and prediction
- Asian Games 2023 Live Updates, October 4: Lovlina gets silver in 75kg boxing, IND 4-2 KOR in hockey semifinal; Jyothi-Ojas bag archery gold
- India vs South Korea LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023 hockey semis: IND leads 4-2 vs KOR at half-time
- ISL 2023-24, Bengaluru FC vs East Bengal LIVE Streaming info: When, where to watch Indian Super League?
- India vs Thailand Kabaddi Live Score, Asian Games 2023: IND leads THA in Women’s Group A, streaming info, match updates