India’s Selena Selvakumar came up with a sterling, unbeaten run in the Junior Girls’ Team event to annex the Egypt Junior and Cadet Open title in Sharm El-Sheikh.
The 17-year-old Chennai girl paired up with local duo of Riman Hesham and Waad Ibrahim to upset the top seeded Egypt A team 3-2 in a gripping final. She beat Sarah Abousetta 3-1 (11-8, 13-11, 11-13, 11-7) in the opening encounter and Marwa Alhodaby 3-1 (12-10, 4-11, 11-8, 11-9) in the fourth to set up the unexpected victory.
Her twin wins are particularly impressive as Egypt’s Waad Ibrahim and Riman Hesham had lost to the highly rated Marwa Alhodaby and Mariam Alhodaby to hand over the initiative to their opponents.
Selena soaked in the early pressure and won the first game 12-10 against Marwa. That was enough to shift the momentum and she rode on it for a comfortable win.
Waad Ibrahim then beat Sarah Abousetta 3-1 (3-11, 11-9, 11-3, 11-6) for a highly satisfying win.
Selena was equally impressive in the semifinals against the Egypt-Tunisia team. She overcame Egypt’s Eman Taha 3-1 (11-8, 11-3, 6-11, 11-7) in the second match and Tunisia’s Abir Haj Salah 3-1 (11-5, 12-14, 11-9, 11-6) in what proved to be the decider.
Latest on Sportstar
- Norway Chess: Gritty Gukesh finishes third; Nakamura pips Caruana to the title
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 4: India 28/0 (6 overs); Rohit, Gill start strong in record chase of 444 vs Australia
- Swiatek vs Muchova Live Score, French Open 2023 women’s final: Iga takes opening set 6-2
- WTC Final 2023: Rohit Sharma completes 13,000 runs as opener; third-fastest behind Hayden, Tendulkar
- Overall happy with our performance: Stimac on India’s win against Mongolia