Soumyajit Ghosh: I am a victim of blackmail and planned conspiracy

Soumyajit, who is currently training in Germany, claimed that the girl was blackmailing him for money, and the allegations were a ploy to ruin his career.

Soumyajit Ghosh said that he was on good terms with the girl’s family during their time together and her mother was also present when he won the Arjuna Award. (File Photo)   -  Vivek Bendre

Soumyajit Ghosh is ready to squash all allegations levelled against him by an 18-year-old girl in an FIR lodged on March 21, 2018.

As per the FIR, a copy of which is available with Sportstar, Ghosh is facing charges under for four sections of Indian Penal Code and and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

"I have been a victim of blackmail and a planned conspiracy," said the Olympian and former National champion while speaking to Sportstar from the Bremen, Germany, on Thursday.

Read: Soumyajit's CWG participation doubtful after rape allegations

Giving his side of the story soon after losing the doubles match in the on-going German Open, Ghosh said, “I met this girl in mid-2015 in Kolkata after we became ‘friends’ on Facebook. We liked each other and were romantically inclined. Later our families met and everything was going fine. In fact, when I received the Arjuna Award (in August 2016), she and her father joined my family in New Delhi.

“After Rio Olympics, when I had to return to Europe to meet my club commitments, she did not like the idea. She did her best to prevent me from leaving. During the course of her persistent ways, she said lots of things that made me think twice about continuing the relationship. I maintained my stand and left for Europe for training and competitions. Thereafter, there were barrage of messages and calls from her. She even wrote to Table Tennis Federation of India against me.

“In fact, in December 2016, her mother gifted a piece of land (situated at the outskirts of Kolkata) jointly in our names. But I flatly refused to accept the ‘gift’ because, by then, I sensed something was seriously wrong with this gesture. Since then, I have not kept any contact with her.”

'A total lie'

Refuting the girl’s allegation that she was pregnant and had to opt for abortion owing to his persistence, Ghosh said, "I challenge her to prove this. It is a total lie. I have evidences to prove my innocence. On the contrary, I paid for her father’s treatment. I have bills to prove that. She also took small and large sums of money from me on different pretexts. Now I realise, it was all part of a larger
conspiracy.”

Ghosh also denied promising marriage to the girl once she turned 18. “I have never promised her marriage. I am not the one to make false promises. I am returning on March 25 to explain my case to the authorities.”

Sensing the gravity of charges, Ghosh is seeking legal opinion ahead of his return. “I am also considering applying for anticipatory bail to ensure that my truth is heard by one and all," said Ghosh, who is facing the prospects of being dropped from the Indian squad for next month's Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia.

“I am trapped by a family which planned everything to the last detail,” he lamented.

For more updates, follow Sportstar on :