Ashleigh Barty and Casey Dellacqua put Australia into the Fed Cup World Group play-offs with victory in the deciding doubles over Ukraine in Canberra on Sunday.
Barty and Dellacqua eased past twin sisters Nadiia and Lyudmyla Kichenok 6-3, 6-4 after Nadiia had levelled the tie with a singles win over Daria Gavrilova. Australia will now move into the World Group play-offs in April, putting them one win away from the Fed Cup's top-eight nations for the first time since 2015, while Ukraine will face a World Group II play-off.
Barty was Australia's leading light with her third victory of the weekend after beating both Lyudmyla Kichenok and Marta Kostyuk in her singles matches. Australia's number one singles player Barty had defeated Kostyuk 6-2, 6-3 to put her country on the cusp of qualification only for Gavrilova to lose the fourth singles tie.
World No. 26 Gavrilova completed a dismal weekend when she went down for the second time despite winning the opening set against unranked Nadiia Kichenok 4-6, 6-2, 6-3. Few had given the depleted Ukrainian team a chance when they arrived without world number three Elina Svitolina and their next five top-ranked singles players.
- Bundesliga: Harry Kane hits hat-trick as Bayern beats Bochum 7-0
- Real Madrid’s Vinicius fit in time to play Atletico derby after month-long hamstring injury
- MBSG 3-1 PFC highlights, ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant begins title defence in style; Manvir, Petratos, Cummings on the scoresheet
- Indian sports news wrap, September 23
- ISL 2023-24: Chennaiyin FC suffers 0-2 loss against Odisha FC in opener