Former French Open champion Iga Swiatek feels her work with her sports psychologist Daria Abramowicz was finally paying off as the 20-year-old is now able to regularly stay calm and confident to bounce back from adversity on court.
In the past Swiatek felt her world was falling apart when she was losing a tennis match but she is now able to find a different mental zone, the Pole said after her 6-7(3), 6-2, 6-1 win against Danish teenager Clara Tauson at Indian Wells.
The victory on Sunday was a second straight match and fourth time in the 2022 season that Swiatek managed to rally to victory after losing the opening set.
"I think my work that I've been doing with Daria is clicking and mentally I feel that I have more skills right now to just stay calm and think about solutions," Swiatek told reporters after reaching the fourth round of the WTA 1000 event.
"Before I struggled with emotions a little bit and sometimes I wasn't choosing the right path to change something. I don't know. After I lost the first set I remember I wanted to be like more pumped up and have more energy but right now it's like more focused and, yeah, it's easier for me to find solutions."
Abramowicz travels with the 2020 French Open champion around the globe and the world number four feels it has helped her change her outlook towards the sport.
Swiatek reached the semi-final of her season-opening event in Adelaide in January before making her maiden Australian Open semi-final the same month. Her first title of the season came in the WTA 1000 event in Qatar in February.
"Before when I was losing I felt like my whole life is bad and like the base of my existence is suddenly destroyed because I'm losing a tennis match," she added.
"Right now I have more distance to everything and I can see clearly."
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- I-League 2023-24 points table LIVE: Sreenidi Deccan on top tied with Mohammedan Sporting Club, I-League standings
- IND vs AUS, 5th T20I: Arshdeep Singh holds nerve in tense final over as India wins series 4-1
- EURO 2024: Which group is the Group of Death at the European Championship?