Former world No.1 Caroline Wozniacki will have no further preparation before her final career appearance at the Australian Open after withdrawing Monday from the traditional warm-up tournament at Kooyong.
The 29-year-old Dane has announced she will retire after the Australian Open, where in 2018 she won her only Grand Slam title.
Now ranked 35th, Wozniacki was due to play in a select women’s field at Kooyong but informed Australian organizers Monday that she was withdrawing.
“She’s pulled up a bit sore after playing (at the ASB Classic) in Auckland so as a precaution ahead of the Open she’s decided not to play,” tournament director Peter Johnston said.
Wonziacki reached the singles semifinals at the ASB Classic and the doubles final with long-time friend Serena Williams, the first time the two have combined in doubles.
- Champions League 2023: Early qualification delights Atletico coach Simeone
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Tamil Nadu beats Baroda; Mumbai, Saurashtra win; Bengal beats MP by 194 runs
- BCCI extends contract of India head coach Rahul Dravid and support staff
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series