Dzumhur and coach taking legal action against French Open organisers over COVID-19 test

Damir Dzumhur is taking legal action against French Open organisers after he was barred from entering the qualification round after his coach tested COVID-19 positive.

Damir Dzumhur and his coach Petar Popovic said they were denied a second test by French Open organisers, with Popovic saying a new test he underwent returned negative.

Bosnian player Damir Dzumhur is taking legal action against French Open organisers after he was barred from entering the qualification round after his coach Petar Popovic tested positive for COVID-19.

Popovic tested positive but argued it was a 'false positive' because he already had contracted the virus earlier this year, saying he was “full of antibodies”.

Advertising
Advertising

RELATED| Another player out of French Open qualifying due to COVID-19

Dzumhur and Popovic said they were denied a second test by French Open organisers, the French tennis federation (FFT), with Popovic saying a new test he underwent returned negative, according to French sports daily L'Equipe. The FFT was not immediately available for comment.

“It's a scandal and a huge frustration,” Popovic told L'Equipe on Tuesday.

“I'm sure we're going to win in court. They're going to pay a lot for this. It makes me crazy,” he added.

RELATED| Five players out of French Open qualifying due to COVID-19

Six players have already been denied playing in the qualification phase amid positive coronavirus tests. The main draw starts on Sunday.

The French Open will be held from September 27 to October 11 after being moved from its usual late May-June slot.

The FFT plans to allow 5,000 spectators each day following a recent spike in COVID-19 cases in France. It previously said the clay-court major would permit a maximum of 11,500 fans per day.