Novak Djokovic will miss Serbia’s Davis Cup Finals group stage matches starting in Valencia next week due to personal reasons, the country’s tennis federation announced on Monday.
The former world number one won Wimbledon to take his Grand Slam singles titles tally to 21 but missed the ongoing U.S. Open as he opted not to be vaccinated against COVID-19, which meant he could not fly to New York for the year’s final major.
Djokovic was expected to return to action in the men’s premier team event but Serbian captain Viktor Troicki said that the player had cancelled his participation.
Djokovic’s official website lists the September 23-25 Laver Cup at London’s O2 Arena as his next tournament, followed by an ATP 250 event in Tel Aviv and the Paris Masters in late October.
Serbia have been drawn in Group B alongside Spain, South Korea and Canada.
- EURO 2024 qualifiers points table LIVE: Romania tops Group I, Ronaldo helps Portugal top Group J
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifying format explained: CAF qualifiers, How do African teams qualify for World Cup?
- FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers points table LIVE: CAF standings, South Africa tops Group C, Salah hat-trick helps Egypt lead Group A
- Canada down Jamaica in CONCACAF Nations League quarters
- Miandad and Shoaib Akhtar lash out at PCB for “forcing” Babar to step down from captaincy