World number five Stefanos Tsitsipas found little resistance as he disposed of claycourt specialist Roberto Carballes Baena in straight sets 6-3, 7-6(4), 6-2 on Wednesday to advance to the French Open third round.
The fifth seed, who is chasing his first ever Grand Slam, had struggled somewhat in his tournament opener against Jiri Vesely but was in complete control against the 30-year-old Spaniard, cruising to an easy win.
He quickly grabbed the initiative, breaking his opponent early, while holding his own serve, to bag the first set.
The pair then traded two breaks each in a rollercoaster second set with Carballes Baena trying to lock Tsitsipas in long baseline rallies.
The Spaniard managed to take it to a tiebreak but the Greek kept his composure to take a two-set lead before cruising to a quick 4-0 and then booking his spot in the second round with ease.
- Flintoff back to old self after horror crash: Trescothick
- Paris 2024 Women’s Football: We want to play at Olympics with right conditions, says Spain’s Caldentey
- Slovenia forward Benjamin Sesko tired of Erling Haaland comparisons after good start in Bundesliga
- BCCI records a rise of nearly 2200 crore rupees in revenue at Annual General Meeting 2023
- East Bengal vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, ISL 2023-24: Poor finishing leads to goalless draw between EB and JFC in their season opener