The Indian boys were beaten 2-0 by New Zealand for the ninth place in the Asia Oceania Junior Davis Cup under-16 tennis tournament at the DLTA Complex on Saturday.
India had beaten New Zealand for its only victory in the league phase. However, Rithvik Choudary Bollipalli, who came in for Sashank Theertha, lost the opening rubber. Sacchitt Sharma, who had recovered from a precarious position in the league match against George Duncan Stoupe, lost rather tamely this time after winning the first set in the tie-break.
India had lost to Hong Kong and Japan in the league, and had beaten Indonesia and Malaysia in the play-off for minor placings.
Japan prevailed by the strength of its strong doubles combination as it beat Australia 2-1 for the title. The top four teams from the 16 countries which competed here, Japan, Australia, ChineseTaipei and China made it to the World Group Finals to be played in Budapest, Hungary, in September.
The results (final): Japan bt Australia 2-1 (Keisuke Saitoh bt Stefan Storch 6-1, 6-3; Fumiya Hoshino lost to Rinky Hijakata 4-6, 6-4, 6-2; Tomoya Ikeda & Fumiya Yoshino bt Ken Cavrak & Stefan Storch 6-4, 6-4).
Ninth place: New Zealand bt India 2-0 (Chris Wei Sheng Zhang bt Rithvik Choudary Bollipalli 6-4, 6-4; George Duncan Stoupe bt Sacchitt Sharma 6-7(4), 6-3, 6-0).
The final standings: 1. Japan, 2. Australia, 3. Chinese Taipei, 4. China, 5. Korea, 6. Hong Kong, 7. Thailand, 8. Uzbekistan, 9. New Zealand, 10. India, 11. Indonesia, 12. Singapore, 13. Philippines, 14. Kazakhstan, 15. Malaysia, 16. Syria.
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 27 - LIVE - Sift Kaur wins gold with WR in shooting; India wins gold, silver in shooting team event; Moves on 5th with 5 gold, 22 medals in total
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Warner reaches fifty in 32 balls as Australia launches attack in PowerPlay vs India
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates: Esha bags silver in 25m pistol, Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold, Anant wins silver in men’s skeet; India 5th with 22 medals
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Manav,Manush Shah wins doubles R-64, Qualifies for R-32; Sathiyan, Manika in Mixed Doubles next
- Shooting LIVE Score Asian Games 2023: Anant wins silver in men’s skeet final; Sift wins gold with WR, India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold