The Indian girls took the 11th place as they beat Malaysia 2-0 in the Asia Oceania Junior Fed Cup under-16 tennis tournament at the DLTA Complex on Saturday. Sai Dedeepya, playing the first singles blanked Juliana Shalini Ganendra, but Humera Shaik had to fight it out after a slow start to win in the third set tie-break.
In the final, Japan outplayed Thailand 2-0, dropping 11 games in all. Chinese Taipei took the third berth for the World Group Finals to be played in Budapest, Hungary, in September, by outwitting Australia 2-1.
The results (final): Japan bt Thailand 2-0 (Nato Sato bt Napatt Nirundorn 6-4, 6-0; Yuki Naito bt Thasaporn Naklo 6-3, 6-4).
Third place: Chinese Taipei bt Australia 2-1 (Joanna Jessie Garland bt Amber Marshall 7-6(5), 6-0; Kuan Yi Lee lost to Olivia Gadecki 6-0, 2-6, 2-6; Joanna Jessie Garland & Kuan Yi Lee bt Olivia Gadecki & Tayla Whitehouse 4-6, 6-1, 10-2).
Play-off 11th place: India bt Malaysia 2-0 (Sai Dedeepya bt Juliana Shalini Ganendra 6-0, 6-0; Sharifah Elsa Wan Abdul Rahman bt Humera Shaik 2-6, 6-3, 7-6(3)).
The final placings: 1. Japan, 2. Thailand, 3. Chinese Taipei, 4. Australia, 5. Hong Kong, 6. China, 7. New Zealand, 8. Uzbekistan, 9. Korea, 10. Indoensia, 11. India, 12. Malaysia, 13. Pacific Oceania, 14. Kazakhstan, 15. Kyrgyzstan, 16. Sri Lanka.
- IND vs AUS Live Score 1st ODI: Shreyas Iyer runout; India loses two wickets in quick succession
- Asian Games 2023: Indian Table Tennis teams pip Singapore on opening matchday; men’s side also beats Yemen
- MotoGP Indian Grand Prix: Luca Marini clocks fastest time in Practice
- Burnley vs Man United: ‘Everyone is united’ says embattled Ten Hag amid dressing room leaks
- Asian Games 2023: India looks to ‘Baig’ a medal with veteran coach stressing on enjoying the Asiad experience