Sania Mirza ends partnership with Martina Hingis

In an unexpected development, Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis have decided to end their astonishing partnership that took the tennis world by storm last year when they won nine titles including the year-end WTA championship.

The Indo-Swiss pair won 41 matches on the trot, but of late their performance had dipped.   -  Getty Images

It is official! India’s six-time Grand Slam winner Sania Mirza has decided to part ways with Swiss great Martina Hingis in women’s doubles.

“Yes, the call has been taken. The results have not been really encouraging in the last six months. And, anyhow everything has to come to an end at one time or the other,” Imran Mirza, father and mentor of Sania, told Sportstar on Tuesday.

Imran also revealed that Sania’s partner for the next two events — the Cincinnati Open and the US Open — will be Czech Republic player Barbora Strycova who partnered Lucie Safarova to shock the Williams sisters in the Rio Games women’s doubles.

Apparently, what made the Mirzas take the big decision was that the World No.1 duo of Sania and Hingis had started losing to players ranked above 100 in the world.

“It has been a tremendous partnership, no doubt. They have won 14 WTA titles including three Grand Slams. That is phenomenal and to cap it all they are the World No. 1 in doubles. What more one can achieve,” was Imran’s reaction on how he looked back at the partnership. There was something missing in the partnership now. And, the decision had to be taken,” he said.

Questioned about the timing of the announcement with the mixed doubles campaign of Sania and Rohan Bopanna scheduled in Rio soon, Imran said they did not break the news but that it was picked up from the U.S. apparently through a tweet as officials ask for players’ list for major events well in advance.