World No. 1 Iga Swiatek is set to begin her 2023 Australian Open campaign with her first-round opponent being Germany’s Jule Niemeier, as per the draw announced on Thursday.
Three-time Grand Slam champion Swiatek could face seventh-seeded American Coco Gauff in the quarterfinals in what would be a rematch of the 2022 French Open final.
The other possible last-eight clashes are - USA’s Jessica Pegula vs Maria Sakkari of Greece, Daria Kasatkina of Russia vs Frenchwoman Caroline Garcia, and Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur vs Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus.
Here’s a list of some first-round matches to watch out:
- ⦿ Iga Swiatek (POL) vs Jule Niemeier (GER)
- ⦿ Victoria Azarenka (BLR) vs Sofia Kenin (USA)
- ⦿ Coco Gauff (USA) vs Katerina Siniakova (CZE)
- ⦿ Ons Jabeur (TUN) vs Tamara Zidansek (CZE)
- ⦿ Jessica Pegula (USA) vs Jaqueline Cristian (ROU)
- ⦿ Aryna Sabalenka (BLR) vs Tereza Martincova (CZE)
- ⦿ Bianca Andreescu (CAN) vs Marie Bouzkova (CZE)
- ⦿ Elena Rybakina (KAZ) vs Elisabetta Cocciaretto (ITA)
- ⦿ Danielle Collins (USA) vs Anna Kalinskaya (RUS)
- ⦿ Paula Badosa (ESP) vs Catherine McNally (USA)
- ⦿ Emma Raducanu (GBR) vs Tamara Korpatsch (GER)
- ⦿ Amanda Anisimova (USA) vs Marta Kostyuk (UKR)
- ⦿ Maria Sakkari (GRE) vs Yue Yuan (CHN)
- ⦿ Leylah Fernandez (CAN) vs Alize Cornet (FRA)
- ⦿ Petra Kvitova (CZE) vs Alison Van Uytvanck (BEL)