India’s Divij Sharan and partner Hugo Nys crashed out in the first round of the US Open in men’s doubles, going down in straight sets to Robert Carballes Baena and Federico Delbonis.
The duo lost 4-6, 4-6.
Sharan and Nys did not get any break-point in the 72-minute clash while their rivals broke them once each in both the sets to move to the next round.
It was Sharan’s second first-round exit in a Grand Slam this season. He had crashed out in the opening round of the Australian Open, too. The result means he is likely to drop a rung to 48 when the new rankings are issued after the conclusion of the US Open.
Reaching the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2018 remains his best show at the Majors.
Rohan Bopanna and Leander Paes are also in the men’s doubles draw with their respective partners.
Bopanna and his Canadian partner Denis Shapovalov are up against French fourth seeds Pierre-Hugues Herbert. Paes, who has paired with Argentina’s Guillermo Duran, will open their campaign against Serbia’s Miomir Kecmanovic and Norway’s Casper Ruud.
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- I-League 2023-24 points table LIVE: Sreenidi Deccan on top tied with Mohammedan Sporting Club, I-League standings
- IND vs AUS, 5th T20I: Arshdeep Singh holds nerve in tense final over as India wins series 4-1
- EURO 2024: Which group is the Group of Death at the European Championship?