Clara Burel beat Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina 6-4 6-4 in the first round of the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows on Tuesday.
Hot on the heels of Ukrainian Daria Snigur’s win over twice Grand Slam winner Simona Halep and Colombian Daniel Galan’s triumph over fourth seed Stefanos Tsitsipas, the 131st ranked Burel produced an assured display to eliminate Rybakina.
Kazakhstan’s Rybakina squandered six of the seven break points she earned in the first set as she racked up 19 unforced errors.
Burel broke the Russian-born Rybakina in the opening game of the second set and won more than three-quarters of her first-serve points under hot and humid conditions on day two of the hardcourt major.
- ICC World Cup 2023 Most Runs: Full list of top 10 run-scorers after league stage; Kohli on top, Rohit fourth
- IND vs NED, ODI World Cup: India wins big against Netherlands to finish league stage undefeated
- Premier League: Aston Villa eases to 3-1 home win over Fulham; West Ham beats Forest 3-2
- Shreyas Iyer repays Dravid’s faith by acing the pull shot in maiden ODI World Cup hundred
- Premier League: Salah powers Liverpool to 3-0 win over Brentford; Brighton held by Sheffield