The script that unfolded at the Arun Jaitley Stadium (Ferozeshah Kotla) was in keeping with the popular sentiments of thousands of spectators donning the DHONI jersey.
Unchallenged, the Chennai Super Kings cruised to a dominating 77-run victory over an unsteady Delhi Capitals. Indeed, the one-sided nature of the contest was in keeping with the performances of these teams in the league phase.
Importantly, Super Kings finished its league engagements on 17 points, behind leader Gujarat Titans and a place in the Playoffs. In the process, it significantly improved its Net Run Rate (NRR) from +0.381 to +0.652 to make things very difficult for the Lucknow Super Kings, the nearest challenger to the second spot.
On the field, chasing Super Kings’ 223 for three, Capitals’ batting proved a letdown once more this season and finished at a distant 146 for nine.
For one last time, the Capitals innings revolved around skipper David Warner. The left-handed opener scored a 58-ball 86 after witnessing the fall of three wickets in the first five overs and three more before departing in the 19th over. All Super Kings bowlers were among the wickets, with Deepak Chahar scalping three.
After the Super Kings opted to bat during the afternoon when the temperature touched 42 degrees, in-form openers Devon Conway and Player-of-the-Match Ruturaj Gaikwad turned on the heat further. Keeping a blistering pace, the duo raised 141 runs with a strike rate in excess of 150.
READ THE FULL MATCH REPORT HERE
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- McIlroy tied for lead at Memorial by making fewest mistakes
- Jabeur upset with fans reselling tickets due to women’s match in night session
- Nkunku stars as Leipzig retains German Cup with 2-0 win over Frankfurt