We were all shocked when Saudi [Arabia] beat the Argentinians. I don’t think I’ve ever seen countries come together as we’ve seen in this World Cup. We have seen when the Moroccans have gone as far as they have done, you have Qataris celebrating it, and you have the Saudis celebrating.
Level of play in the first winter World Cup
The level of play has been incredible. And I said this before the tournament started. People said it isn’t ideal. I was always a supporter of it. Just because I feel that in past World Cups, I’ve been part of, I’ve gone from a long, gruelling season into a World Cup.
Of course, you have some kind of exhaustion, mentally and physically. I knew that these players were coming into this World Cup, and once they were into it, then their fitness levels and energy were going to be a lot higher, and the level of the games was going to be higher, and that’s proved right.
I think the level of the play has been incredible. But my favourite thing about this World Cup is seeing fans together, seeing young children from England integrated with the fans from Morocco, or Saudi and celebrating their success. I don’t think I’ve seen a World Cup like this before. I don’t think I’ve seen fans come together like this before.
- Honest Lalit Kumar runs 100m final alone as others flee to evade dope test at Delhi State Championships
- Bangladesh ODI World Cup 2023 squad: Shakib leads, Tamim Iqbal left out
- ODI World Cup 2023: Southee cleared to join New Zealand squad after surgery, aiming to play opener
- India starts favourite against Nepal in SAFF U19 Championship semifinals
- Asian Games 2023: With packed arena and high ticket prices, Esports a hit in Hangzhou