Yashasvi Jaiswal (50, 36b, 8x4) and Devdutt Padikkal’s (51, 30b, 5x4, 3x6) fifties were complemented by Shimron Hetmyer’s cameo as Rajasthan Royals ensured it had its neck just above the water in the race for the IPL playoffs with a four-wicket win over Punjab Kings at the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium here on Friday.
As PBKS failed to reach the playoffs for the ninth consecutive season, life came full circle for Impact Player Dhruv Jurel, who had announced himself with a brilliant knock in a losing cause against the same opposition earlier in the tournament.
With six needed off three balls and the sea of red in Dharamsala geeing up Rahul Chahar, Jurel dealt PBKS the fatal blow and silenced the crowd with a six down the ground.
Hetmyer had done his bit in getting under the skin of the home side with a match-winning knock and some theatrics. With the asking rate nearing 10 with four overs remaining, Hetmyer was dropped on 36 off Sam Curran and then survived a caught behind decision in the same over after it was overturned on appeal. A frustrated Curran exchanged words with Hetmyer, who kept his calm before being dismissed by the Englishman with nine runs needed.
The platform was laid by Jaiswal and Padikkal’s 73-run stand after Buttler set the record for the most ducks scored in a single season of the IPL.
READ THE FULL MATCH REPORT HERE
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- McIlroy tied for lead at Memorial by making fewest mistakes
- Jabeur upset with fans reselling tickets due to women’s match in night session
- Nkunku stars as Leipzig retains German Cup with 2-0 win over Frankfurt