Down in the fifth rung, Bengaluru Torpedoes stunned third-placed Calicut Heroes 3-2 in a thriller in the Prime Volleyball League at the Rajiv Gandhi Indoor Stadium on Tuesday.
Despite the result, Calicut qualified for the semifinal – the third team to do so – since no other team can catch up with it. Bengaluru will now have to wait for the result of Wednesday’s match between Mumbai Meteors and Kochi Blue Spikers to know its fate.
After losing the first two sets, Calicut made a strong comeback taking the next two and appeared set to take the match when it led 7-4 in the decider, riding on universal Jerome Vinith’s fiery spiking.
A little later, Jerome was blocked by Tsvetelin and Ibin Jose, who impressed with his serves too, while Pankaj was consistent with his spiking from the flanks. The scores were level at 13 and 14 but Alireza’s smash won Bengaluru the next point and the match.
The result: Bengaluru Torpedoes bt Calicut Heroes 3-2 (15-11, 15-11, 13-15, 10-15, 15-14).
- Chelsea vs Liverpool Carabao Cup 2023-24 final LIVE Score: CHE 0 - 1 LIV, EFL League Cup extra-time updates, Van Dijk scores
- Al Shabab vs Al Nassr LIVE updates, SHB 0-1 NAS, Saudi Pro League: Ronaldo penalty keeps Nassr ahead
- Cristiano Ronaldo scores 750th goal in club football
- PVL 2024: Calicut Heroes routs Kolkata Thunderbolts
- Carabao Cup final, CHE vs LIV: What happened the last time Chelsea vs Liverpool went into penalties in League Cup final