Delhi Sultans captain Sakshi Malik recorded a comprehensive 16-2 win over Shilpi Yadav as her team beat Mumbai Maharathi 5-2 in the Pro Wrestling League (PWL) at the Gautam Buddha University indoor hall here on Sunday.
Sultans won first four consecutive matches to take the tie even as the remaining three bouts became inconsequential.
Former World champion Khetik Tsabalov's commanding 9-2 win over Sachin Rathi put Sultans ahead.
Tsabalov, who led by just a point because of Rathi's passivity in the opening round, exploited his opponent's weakness to win the men's 74kg bout convincingly.
European under-23 champion Anastasia Shustova upset Olympian Zseneth Nemeth 10-5 in a dramatic fashion and double Sultans' lead.
Trailing by five points, Shustova ignored a bleeding left ear and attacked Zseneth valiantly to collect 10 points, including a four-point throw, in the closing minute.
A lesser known Pankaj Bhainswal stunned World Military champion Ibragim Ilyasov 11-8 in a men's 57kg contest that swung from side to side.
An alert Pankaj fought back to establish a 4-3 lead over the Russian, who wrested lead with the help of a four-pointer.
Bhainswal first drew parity and went on to secure points as the Maharathi wrestler made some desperate moves.
Sakshi, looking for a big win, had eight takedowns, including three in the first round, in her comfortable win over training partner Shilpi in the women's 62kg match.
Vinesh Phogat managed to beat Pinki 14-9 in an edge-of-the-seat thriller.
- Asian Games 2023: Seema Punia wins discus bronze in Hangzhou
- Indian sports news wrap, October 1
- Asian Games 2023: Nandini Agasara wins bronze in women’s heptathlon
- Kerala Blasters vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE, ISL 2023-24: KBFC v JFC updates; When, where to watch; Kick-off at 8 PM IST
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, October 1: Tajinderpal, Avinash Sable win gold; Harmilan, Ajay, Jinson win 1500m medals; Sreeshankar wins long jump silver; Nikhat Zareen wins bronze; India 2-1 China in men’s badminton final