Julia Goerges won her second WTA title of the season by overcoming Belinda Bencic in a tight affair in the Luxembourg Open final.
The German, whose first trophy of 2018 came in Auckland at the start of the year, was just two points away from a straight-sets defeat to Eugenie Bouchard in Friday's semifinal.
But there was no need for a comeback on this occasion as top seed Goerges completed a 6-4 7-5 victory over her Swiss opponent in just under 90 minutes.
Georges nailed the only break point of the first set in game five, before seeing a couple of opportunities go begging at the start of the second.
The writing was on the wall when Bencic – who this week went beyond the last eight for the first time this year – was broken in game 11, though, as Goerges became the third German winner of the tournament in the past four years.
- Australia vs Netherlands highlights, World Cup 2023 warm-up: Ned 84/6 in 167 chase vs AUS, match called off due to rain; Full scorecard
- Premier League: Man United slump to fourth season defeat at home to Crystal Palace
- Premier League: Wolverhampton Wanderers ended Manchester City’s perfect start with shock 2-1 win
- Serie A: ‘No fear’ says Mourinho despite Roma’s struggles on the pitch
- Victor Osimhen comes off bench to help Napoli win 4-0 at Lecce and close in on Serie A leaders