James Rodriguez will not be selected in the Colombia squad for the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, the president of the Colombian Football Federation (FCF) has confirmed.
Colombia coach Jose Pekerman included James in his preliminary 40-man squad for the Copa America Centenario in June.
After participating in the United States, the Real Madrid midfielder will not be considered for selection as one of the three over-23 players permitted at Rio 2016.
FCF president Ramon Jesurun said: "He [James] had a private chat with the members of the national team coaching staff and they took the decision that he will go to the Copa America.
"It is understandable. It was very difficult to have him in the two competitions, it must be understood. James is a phenomenon, a fabulous player and an extraordinary person.
"Everything he has given us has been extraordinary, but he has many more years left to give joy to Colombian football and the country."
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC