Gokulam Kerala FC stunned Bangladesh Premier League champion Bashundhara Kings 3-1 in their opening Group B match of the Sheikh Kamal International Cup at the MA Aziz Stadium in Bangladesh on Tuesday.
Forward Henry Kisseka and midfielder Nathaniel Garcia struck in the first half before the former added a third at the start of the second period to establish a formidable lead. Bashundara could only salvage a consolation goal in the 74th minute to reduce the defecit.
Gokulam, which won the Durand Cup in the summer, sits second on the table behind Malaysia's Terengganu FC on goal difference.
Terengganu FC thumps Chennai City FC
Terengganu thumped Chennai City FC 5-3 in an earlier kick-off. The reigning I-League champion came back from a goal down to take the lead in the 33rd minute after goals from Katsumi Yusa and Mashoor Sheriff. Bruno Junichi Castenheira, then, struck four goals between the 38th and 80th minute to establish a 5-2 scoreline in favour of the Malaysian side.
Pedro Manzi scored late for the Indian club but it wasn't enough to revive another come back.
On Sunday, Mohun Bagan kicked off the tournament with a 2-1 loss to Laos' Young Elephants FC in a Group A fixture.
- MotoGP riders give thumbs up to the Buddh International Circuit
- Wrestling World Championships: Antim Panghal wins bronze, guarantees India a Paris Olympic quota
- Putellas, Paredes say Spain players staying to promote change
- MotoGP’s top-four riders have an Indian connection
- MotoGP: Bagnaia in much better condition ahead of Indian Grand Prix after horrific crash