Chennaiyin FC and Inigo Calderon, the Spanish defender and fan favourite, parted ways on Tuesday.
Calderon has left the club citing personal reasons.
The two-time ISL champion confirmed Calderon’s departure on its official Twitter page. “You may have been here just a year and a half, but the moments you’ve allowed us to have will remain forever,” the tweet read, enclosing a video message from the right-back.
Read | John Gregory: It's been the worst three months of my life
Calderon was an integral part of Chennaiyin’s 2017-18 ISL title-winning campaign, having featured in 20 matches and having chipped in with three crucial goals. The 37-year-old was also voted the fittest player of the season.
“I am not in Chennai any more. I had to stay (back) in Spain, for personal reasons, and I just want to say thank you to everyone. It’s been an amazing one and half seasons for me. Last year, obviously, was a wonderful season, we won the championship. I enjoyed it a lot, the football and the experience. This year has been a really difficult season, not getting the points we would have liked to,” said Calderon, who played for the club in 12 matches in the ongoing season.
He further thanked the supporters for their consistent support despite the club languishing at the bottom of the table with just five points in 13 matches.
Latest on Sportstar
- Formula 1: Mercedes still on the lookout for a return to glory days
- Two pole vaulters part of Asian U-20 Athletics C’ships team leave for Korea but their poles stuck at Delhi airport
- FA Cup Final, Manchester United vs Manchester City: Live streaming info, Predicted XI, Preview
- Manchester Utd still has progress to make in bid to restore former glory, says Ten Hag
- FA Cup final: Man United looks to derail tactically superior City’s treble hopes