It’s always a dream for any fast bowler to bowl to Rahul Dravid. And I remember having such an experience quite early in my career.
That was way back in 2002 and I was just a rookie bowler, and was yet to play in any Board of Control for Cricket in India tournament. By then, Dravid was a superstar and every young cricketer wanted to emulate him. India was to play a home series then and Dravid had come to train at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru, where a few of us were asked to bowl to him at the nets.
For a youngster, it was a dream come true moment. As we speak, it still gives me goosebumps to imagine that I actually managed to bowl to the Rahul Dravid! It was an amazing experience and I also got an opportunity to speak to him for a while.
When I was included in India’s 16-member squad for the Tests against Australia in 2007, it was another learning experience. Even though I did not get a chance to play, it was a great experience sharing the dressing room with legends like Dravid, Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly. Watching your heroes from close quarters was a unique experience and that’s something I will always cherish. The seniors made sure that youngsters like us felt at home.
Three years later, when I finally made it to the ODI team and played against Sri Lanka, in 2010, life came a full circle. This time, I was playing with younger people like Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli and it was definitely something I will always remember.
Cricket has given me a lot and I am glad to have had so many memories.
As told to Shayan Acharya.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 6: MP 125/6 vs TN; MUM in trouble vs Tripura; Haryana beats Karnataka
- WI vs ENG Dream11 Prediction, 1st ODI: West Indies vs England predicted XI, fantasy tips, squads
- WI vs ENG Live Streaming Info, 1st ODI: When and where to watch England tour of West Indies 2023-24?
- NBA roundup: Clippers stuns Warriors after trailing by 22
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023: Punjab thrashes Nagaland to record biggest win in Indian List A cricket