Tokyo 2020 Olympics Shooting Highlights: China claims both gold medals in mixed team events, India's horror run continues
Tokyo Olympics 2021 Score: Follow the blog, commentary and highlights as India shooters Manu Bhaker, Saurabh Chaudhary, Yashaswini Singh Deswal, Abhishek Verma, Divyansh Singh Panwar, Elavenil Valarivan, Deepak Kumar, and Anjum Moudgil take the field on Tuesday.
Gold medallists Ranxin Jiang and Wei Pang of China during the medal ceremony of the 10m Air Pistol mixed team event during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Asaka Shooting Range on Tuesday.
|Welcome to the highlights of the shooting events on Competition Day 4 of Tokyo 2020. This was Santadeep Dey taking you through all the action as it unfurled at the Asaka Shooting Range.|
YOU ARE VIEWING AN OLDER BLOG. FOR LIVE UPDATES FROM JULY 29, CLICK HERE.
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
- 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team Medallists: Gold - China, Silver - USA, Bronze - Russian Olympic Committee.
- 10m Air Pistol Mixed Team Medallists: Gold - China, Silver - Russian Olympic Committee, Bronze - Ukraine.
- All Indian shooters in 10m air pistol and rifle mixed team have bowed out. Saurabh and Manu finished 7th in qualification stage 2, while Abhishek and Yashaswini couldn't even clear the first hurdle. Elavenil-Divyansh and Anjum-Deepak failed to qualify as well.
- The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) president Raninder Singh has said there will be a complete overhaul of coaching staff.
|10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM MEDALLISTS:|
1. CHINA (CHN)
2. THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA)
3. RUSSIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (ROC)
10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM GOLD MEDAL MATCH
- CHINA WINS GOLD. AGAIN! WHAT A DAY THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE FOR THE NATION'S SHOOTING TEAM. WITH A SCORE OF 17-13 THE SIDE HAS OUTWITTED USA, WHICH SETTLES FOR SILVER.
- Kozeniesky and Tucker are not ones to crumble when subject to pressure. A 10.5 and a 10.6 and they are inching closer to the leaders. CHN 15-13 USA.
- 15-11 The Chinese are only one point away from sweeping all the golds that were on offer today in shooting.
- A high 21.5 from the Yangs! 13-11 to China.
- What a thrilling contest this is turning out to be. 11-all!!!
- A rare 9.9 and 10.0 from the Chinese pair. Pressure? USA is back on top. 11-9.
- We are tied again. 9-all.
- A 10.6 and 10.8 from China! USA has no apt reply to that. USA 9-7 CHN.
- USA extends its lead over China with a 20.5. 9-5 now.
- USA goes past. 7-5 in favour of Tucker and Kozeniesky.
- Wow! A 10.7 and 10.2 from USA. Scores level 5-5.
- It's a tie off the next competition shot. Both teams register 20.7 to pocket a point each. CHN 5-3 USA.
- A perfect 10.9 from Haoran. Points to China. CHN 4-2 USA.
- A 10.4 and a 10.2 from the USA sees the scoreline change to 2-2.
- China claims the first points by a mere difference of 0.1 in the combined score off the first shot.
Will this be a second gold medal for Yang Qian? We will find out shortly...
10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM BRONZE MEDAL MATCH
- The Russian Olympic Committee picks up bronze with a score of 17-9 in the 3rd place decider!
- A difference of a mere 0.1 point takes ROC to the very brink of victory. 15-9.
- Karimova and Kamenskiy misfire together to register 9s. Two points to South Korea.
- With both teams, having a combined score of 21.1 after the last shot, one point has been awarded to each side. The scoreline reads 13-7 now in favour of ROC.
- ROC has a 12-6 lead now.
- Kamenskiy and Karimova shoot 20.8. KOR 6-6 ROC.
- As if a 10.8 from Eunji wasn't enough Taeyun comes up with a 10.5. 2 points to KOR.
- It's 4-all after Karimova's 10.6 goes in vain.
- The Republic of Korea pockets its first points with a combined score of 20.3.
- ROC starts off with four points.
10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM QUALIFICATION STAGE 2
Series 2: China and USA, the top two teams, enter the gold medal-decider. South Korea and ROC will fight for bronze.
Series 1: It is a thrilling battle for the top spot between China, USA, South Korea and ROC.
India's Divyansh Singh Panwar during the Tokyo Olympics. | Photo Credit: Gurinder Osan
10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM QUALIFICATION STAGE 1
The top 8 teams which have progressed to Qualification Stage 2:
1. Qian-Haoran (CHN) 2. Stankiewicz-Bartnik (POL) 3. Eunji-Taeyun (KOR) 4. Galashina-Maslennikov (ROC) 5. Weisz-Shaner (USA) 6. Karimova-Kamenskiy (ROC) 7. Tucker-Kozeniesky (USA) 8. Meszaroz-Peni (HUN)
- Elavenil-Divyansh (Series 3): 104.2-105.6 [9.8-10.5, 10.6-10.6, 10.6-10.7, 10.6-10.4, 10.5-10.5, 10.4-10.5, 10.4-10.5, 10.2-10.7, 10.4-10.8, 10.7-10.4]
Anjum-Deepak (Series 3): 104.4-102.7 [10.7-9.1, 10.6-10.8, 10.7-10.7, 10.2-9.8, 9.9-10.7, 10.6-10.5, 10.3-10.3, 10.9-10.0, 10.0-10.5, 10.5-10.3]
Elavenil-Divyansh finish 12th with 626.5 points, while Anjum-Deepak (623.8) close at 18th. India is out of the qualification round.
- Elavenil-Divyansh (Series 2): 104.0-104.1 [10.4-10.7, 9.9-10.3, 10.3-10.1, 10.2-10.5, 10.6-10.2, 10.8-10.9, 10.8-10.0, 10.3-10.8, 10.3-10.1, 10.4-10.5]
Anjum-Deepak (Series 2): 105.0-105.3 [10.4-10.8, 10.7-9.9, 10.4-10.5, 10.2-10.8, 10.3-10.8, 10.7-10.9, 10.6-10.5, 10.3-10.0, 10.9-10.6, 10.5-10.5]
A considerable improvement from Anjum and Deepak as they go past their compatriots. However, this still isn't enough to propel them into the top 8.
- Elavenil-Divyansh (Series 1): 105.0-103.6 [10.4-10.5, 10.4-10.7, 10.7-10.3, 10.8-10.2, 10.0-10.0, 10.3-10.2, 10.4-10.8, 10.8-10.3, 10.5-10.4, 10.7-10.2]
Anjum-Deepak (Series 1): 103.0-103.4 [10.2-10.5, 10.0-9.6, 9.2-10.2, 10.6-10.3, 10.5-10.2, 10.2-10.5, 10.6-10.7, 10.6-10.7, 10.6-10.4, 10.5-10.3]
Not the ideal start for India. Elavenil and Divyansh are nibbling at the edges of the top 1, while Anjum and Deepak are languishing at the bottom of the pile.
The Indian debacle in the Japanese capital has shocked many. Let's catch a few reactions from Twitter -
Arjuna awardee shooter Joydeep Karmakar isn't a happy man. He says, "Now I would call it a disaster! This was a calculated and biggest hope from #Shooting #TeamIndia and lets not blame luck.. rather everything gained after this can come with the little help of luck!"
Former World No. 1 Heena Sidhu says, "Disappointing show at the 10m range today. Bad bad day for Indian Shooting Saurabh did well, he needed Manu to perform at her end. (sic)"
|10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM MEDALLISTS:|
1. CHINA (CHN)
2. RUSSIAN OLYMPIC COMMITTEE (ROC)
3. UKRAINE (UKR)
10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM GOLD MEDAL MATCH
- A 10.7 AND A 10.1 OFF THE DECIDING SHOT FROM JIANG AND PANG! CHINA WINS GOLD. ROC SETTLES FOR SILVER AFTER CHERNOUSOV REGISTERS A 9.8 OFF HIS LAST COMPETITION SHOT.
- Oh, it's 14-all as Russia notches a high 20.3! A game of nerves now.
- A 19.9 is enough to keep ROC in the fight. CHN 14-12 ROC.
- A 20.2 means China is just one shot away from the gold...
- With a 10.2 and 10.3, the Russian Olympic Committee sends a message. It is not going to back down under any circumstances. CHN 12-10 ROC.
- Pang misfires. A 9.8. However, Jiang shoots a perfect 10.9. WOAH! Who would have seen that coming? 12-8 to China.
- China jumps into the lead. This is turning out to be an exceptional show from Jiang and Pang. 10-8.
- 10.5s from the Chinese pair and it is 8-all!
- An 8- and a 9-pointer from ROC sees China make it 6-8 with 19.7 (9.7, 10.0) off the last competition shot.
- Pang and Jiang pull back two points before faltering again to help ROC extend its lead. 2-6.
- ROC runs away with the first four points.
We, meanwhile, have an update from Shyam Vasudevan, our correspondent in Tokyo:
10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM BRONZE MEDAL MATCH
- 16-12: Turns out, Serbia was only delaying the inevitable. UKRAINE (OLENA KOSTEVYCH AND OLEH OMELCHUK) TAKES BRONZE IN THE 10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM CATEGORY.
- Serbia isn't going to let things go easy as it shoots 21.2 to make it 14-12.
- With four points on the trot after Serbia's two, Ukraine leads 14-10. One shot away...
- 10.1 and 10.3 from Kostevych and Omelchuk as Ukraine pulls away. 10-8.
- 8-all as Omelchuk hits 10.0 and Kostevych 10.3.
- Arunovic with a 10.5. They are making this an alternate shot 'thingy' now. Serbia - 8, Ukraine - 6.
- It's 6-all as Mikec returns the favour with a 10.6 now. Wow! The race to 16 is very much on...
- Mikec's 9.2 gets overshadowed by a whopping 10.6 from Arunovic. Serbia bounces back.
- Ukraine strikes back with six back-to-back points. Arunovic and Mikec haven't managed to register even one 10+ score after the 1st competition shot.
- The first 2 points go to Serbia after they register 20.9.
If you want to switch to some other discipline, in the meantime, my colleague Dominic Richard will help you with the updates from a cracking hockey game in progress between India and Spain!
Another disappointed office-mate after India's poor show in the first shooting event, VS Aravind, will take you through all the other disciplines, which will have Indians in action.
10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM QUALIFICATION STAGE 2
Ukraine's Olena Kostevych-Oleh Omelchuk will face Serbians Zorana Arunovic-Damir Mikec in the bronze medal match.
China's Jiang Ranxin-Pang Wei and Vitalina Batsarashkina-Artem Chernousov of Russian Olympic Committee will fight for gold.
- Manu-Saurabh (Series 2): 94-98 [9-10, 10-10, 10-10, 10-10, 9-9, 10-10, 10-10, 8-9, 10-10, 8-10]
India, having finished seventh in a field of eight, fails to qualify for the final. Although Saurabh only dropped six points in the two series, Manu accounted for 14.
- Manu-Saurabh (Series 1): 92-96 [9-10, 9-9, 10-9, 10-9, 9-10, 8-10, 10-9, 10-10, 9-10, 8-10]
Manu and Saurabh are languishing at the bottom of the table after Series 1. Manu has only managed to score 92.
- The shooters are at their marks and ready to go!
FILE PHOTO: Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary topped qualification 1 with a score of 582-26x and advanced to round two. Abhishek Verma and Yashaswini Deswal crashed out in the mixed team 10m air pistol event at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday. | Photo Credit: PTI
10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM QUALIFICATION STAGE 1
The top 8 teams which have progressed to Qualification Stage 2:
1. Manu-Saurabh (IND) 2. Batsarashkina-Chernousov (ROC) 3. Jiang-Pang (CHN) 4. Kostevych-Omelchuk (UKR) 5. Arunovic-Mikec (SRB) 6. Aspandiyarova-Repacholi (AUS) 7. Wang-He (CHN) 8. Foroughi-Rostamiyan (IRI)
- Manu-Saurabh (Series 3): 95-98 [9-10, 9-10, 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 9-10, 10-9, 10-10, 9-10, 10-10]
Yashaswini-Abhishek (Series 3): 91-97 [9-10, 9-10, 9-10, 9-9, 9-10, 10-9, 8-10, 9-10, 10-10, 9-9]
SAURABH AND MANU TOP QUALIFICATION 1 WITH A SCORE OF 582-26x TO ENTER THE NEXT ROUND!
Yashaswini starts off with 5 9s. She finishes with 91 in the last series and there is no coming back from there. Abhishek's third round fetches 97 points. The second Indian team is out of the contest.
- Manu-Saurabh (Series 2): 94-100 [10-10, 10-10, 9-10, 9-10, 9-10, 9-10, 9-10, 10-10, 9-10, 10-10]
Yashaswini-Abhishek (Series 2): 95-94 [10-10, 9-8, 10-9, 10-10, 10-9, 10-10, 10-10, 9-9, 8-10, 9-9]
100 - A PERFECT SCORE FOR SAURABH IN THE SECOND SERIES. Manu and he have been leading the pile for quite some time now. Meanwhile, Abhishek has just about found his feet a bit, shooting a 94 in the second series. Yashaswini has a 95 again.
- Manu-Saurabh (Series 1): 97-98 [10-9, 10-10, 10-10, 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 10-10, 9-10, 10-10, 9-10]
Yashaswini-Abhishek (Series 1): 95-92 [9-9, 10-10, 9-7, 9-9, 10-8, 10-9, 9-10, 10-10, 9-10, 10-10]
Manu and Saurabh are off to a confident start, having dropped only five team points after the first series. Abhishek is off to a horrid first series, with a 7, 8 and a few 9s in the mix.
- Manu Bhaker (Bib No. 1471) and Saurabh Chaudhary (Bib No. 1483) will occupy lanes 27 and 28. Abhishek Verma (Bib No. 1485) and Yashaswini Singh Deswal (Bib No. 1473) will start from 34 and 33, respectively.
Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary won three air pistol mixed gold medals in the 2019 World Cups. | Photo Credit: SPECIAL ARRAGEMENT
- "So what is the field like in air pistol mixed team?" was one of the questions yesterday at our daily discussion on Olympics in Clubhouse at 9PM IST.
Javad Foroughi and Haniyeh Rostamiyan (IRI), Olena Kostevych and Oleh Omelchuk (UKR), Artem Chernousov and Vitalina Batsarashkina (ROC), Jiang Ranxin and Pang Wei (CHN), Zorana Arunovic and Damir Mikec (SRB).
THAT. THAT IS WHAT THE FIELD IS LIKE. Yes, nobody said it's going to be easy but Manu-Saurabh and Abhishek-Yashaswini have been here before; way too many times.
- Shooting isn't the only event with Indian interest at the Olympics today. Here are a few others.
MIXED TEAM EVENTS (RIFLE/PISTOL) - TOKYO 2020 RULES
The two mixed team events (rifle/pistol) are making a debut in the Olympics today.
Since we haven't had any instances of these events having happened earlier, let me take you through the rules and regulations.
We will have two stages in each competition - first the qualification round, which has been broken up into two parts, followed by a bronze decider and a gold/silver-deciding final.
The scoring system will be similar to the individual events: we will have a full ring with inner-10s for pistol and the International Shooting Sport Federation's (ISSF) decimal scoring for rifles.
The scoring pattern
1. Qualification rounds
Team members will occupy adjacent lanes. In Part 1, each shooter will be allowed to fire 30 shots in as many minutes (a team has 60 shots in all). Each athlete fires independently; there's no fixed pattern as to how one goes about his or her shots with respect to the individual's teammate.
Eight teams move into qualification 2, where the scores are reset. In this round, we will have 40 shots in total; 20 each. Time alloted is 20 minutes. Four teams will qualify from here - the first two play the gold medal game and the 3rd and 4th team fight for bronze.
In case of equipment malfunctions in the qualification round, a jury member at the range has to decide whether it is a legitimate appeal. If it is, then the shooter will be allowed to replace or repair his or her weapon in the equipment change room. The clock however doesn't stop for anybody. In the case a shooter goes for a new weapon, he or she may also decide to go for sighters before shooting in the main round again.
We will have decimal scoring in the final for both rifle and pistol.
Each team member will register one shot in 50 seconds. After all four are done, the total score of each team is calculated and 2 points are awarded to the highest scoring team. If we have equal scores, each team receives one point. The aim is to reach 16 first.
In case of a malfunction in the final, athletes will be allowed only one minute to repair or replace weapon. And only one malfunction can be reported.
WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO
10M AIR PISTOL MIXED TEAM
Indians in action: Saurabh Chaudhary & Manu Bhaker, Abhishek Verma & Yashaswini Singh Deswal
Schedule: Qualification, stage 1 - 9 AM local time (5:30 AM IST), Qualification, stage 2 - 9:45 AM local time (6:15 AM IST), Medal rounds - 11 AM local time (7:30 AM IST)
10M AIR RIFLE MIXED TEAM
Indians in action: Divyansh Singh Panwar & Elavenil Valarivan, Deepak Kumar & Anjum Moudgil
Schedule: Qualification, stage 1 - 1:15 PM local time (9:45 AM IST), Qualification, stage 2 - 2 PM local time (10:30 AM IST), Medal rounds - 3:15 PM local time (11:45 AM IST)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
- When will the Indian shooters play at the Tokyo Olympics?
Eight of the 15 Indian shooters comprising Manu Bhaker, Saurabh Chaudhary, Yashaswini Singh Deswal, Abhishek Verma, Divyansh Singh Panwar, Elavenil Valarivan, Anjum Moudgil, and Deepak Kumar will compete on July 27.
- At what time will the Indian shooters be in action?
The shooting event will start today at 5:30 AM IST (9 AM local time).
- Where to watch Indian events at Tokyo Olympics?
The Sony Sports Network will broadcast Tokyo Olympics live in India.
Sony TEN 3 HD/SD will telecast events with Hindi commentary while Sony TEN 1 HD/SD and Sony TEN 2 HD/SD will have English commentary.
Live streaming of the events will be available on the SonyLIV and JioTV apps.