Four-time champion Roger Federer had it easy in his first round, beating Nikoloz Basilashvili of Georgia in straight sets.
Novak Djokovic wipes his forehead as he drinks water during his first round match against South Korea's Hyeon Chung. The defending champion took an hour and 55 minutes to beat his opponent.
Serena Williams plays a backhand in her first round match against Camila Giorgi, which the former won in straight sets.
Maria Sharapova celebrates after winning her first round match against Japan's Nao Hibino.
Eugenie Bouchard of Canada watches the ball in her first round match against Aleksandra Krunic of of Serbia. Bouchard, too, had a straight sets win in the first round.
Heather Watson plays a backhand in her first round match against Timea Babos. The 79th ranked Watson went down to Babos in three sets.
Heather Watson's coach Judy Murray (right) watches the game.
People flew from Japan to root for the 94th ranked Kurumi Nara.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC