Sriram Balaji, in partnership with Hans Hach Verdugo of Mexico, toppled the No.1 seeds Cheng-Peng Hsieh of Chinese Taipei and Christopher Rungkat of Indonesia 6-4, 6-3 in the doubles semifinals of the $54,160 Challenger tennis tournament in Zhangjjiagang, China, on Friday.
The Taipei-Indonesian pair had earlier beaten Vishnu Vardhan and his partner Luca Margaroli of Switzerland in the quarterfinals.
As a pair, Balaji and Vishnu were knocking on the Grand Slam stage, and had won one round in Wimbledon last year. However, since Vishnu was very selective about competing in tournaments this season, owing to family commitments, Balaji had to find different partners to be regular on the circuit.
In the ITF men’s Futures event in Egypt, SD Prajwal Dev and Adil Kalyanpur set up a title clash in the doubles, against Igor Sijsling and Botic Van De Zandschulp of the Netherlands.
- RCB-W vs MI-W live score, WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore 67/4 (11); Perry, Molineux at the crease
- Bengaluru FC vs Kerala Blasters LIVE score, BFC 0-0 KBFC ISL 2023-24: Level at half-time
- ISL 2023-24: Chennaiyin looks to surprise Odisha FC in last-ditch efforts for top-six finish
- Delhi Open: Wong reaches final, Matuszewski-Romios duo wins doubles title
- Bangladesh squad for Sri Lanka T20I series: Jaker Ali recalled, uncapped spinner Aliss Al Islam ruled out due to injury