Badminton Association of Telangana will organise the Hyderabad Open badminton championship at the GMC Balayogi Stadium here from September 4 to 9, according to chief national coach Pullela Gopichand.
This tournament will be part of the BWF Series 100 tournament and will see players from Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Ireland besides the hosts in action.
Some of the big names who have confirmed participation include former Singapore Open champion B. Sai Praneeth, Sameer Verma, Sourabh Verma, women’s doubles players Ashwini Ponnappa, N. Sikki Reddy, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy besides many national and internationals from abroad.
“We are thankful to the Telangana State Government for the complete support and especially to our president and IT Minister K.T. Rama Rao for the complete support to the event which we hope will be a big success,” Gopichand said.
“Yes, this event coming soon after the Asian Games where Sindhu got a silver and Saina a bronze, should be a perfect platform for the second rung players to make an emphatic statement about their readiness to step on the bigger stages,” the chief national coach said.
Mr. Jayesh Ranjan, Principal Secretry to Government of Telangana, will be the the vice-chairman of the organising committee of the event for which the IDBI Federal Life Insurance is the title-sponsor.
Latest on Sportstar
- French Open 2023: Swiatek to face Gauff in quarterfinals after Tsurenko retires unwell
- French Open 2023: Rune beats Cerundolo in final set tiebreak, sets up quarterfinal rematch with Ruud
- Seven punished by Spanish government for racist insults against Vinicius
- Nacho, Fati called up to Spain squad for Nations League finals
- Asian U20 Athletics Championship: Shivam bags silver in javelin throw; Shakeel wins bronze in 800m