Defending champions, Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB), marched into the team championship final with a 3-1 win over Maharashtra in the Senior national badminton championship at the Divisional Sports Complex here on Thursday.
This despite the jarring note with the fancied R.M.V. Guru Sai Dutt losing to the less experienced, 21-year-old Kaushal Dharmamer 14-21, 22-20, 11-21 in their maiden clash ever after the mixed doubles combine of Manu Attri and N. Sikki Reddy ensured a winning start with a fluent 21-16, 21-14 win over Akshay Dewalkar and Sanjana Santosh.
Later, G. Ruthvika Shivani made short work of Neha Pandit 21-17, 21-15 and soon the best men’s pair from India of Manu Attri and Pranaav Chopra defeated Akshay Dewalkar and Prasad Shetty 21-13, 21-9 to give PSPB an easy win in the end.
In the other semi-final, Madhya Pradesh defeated Manipur 3-1.
Earlier in the morning session, there was an upset when Madhya Pradesh surprised last year’s runner-up Airports Authority of India with a 3-2 win in the quarterfinal.
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organization are not correct
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals