India went down to fancied Uzbekistan in the fourth round of the FIDE World Team Chess Championship, with only S. L. Narayanan managing a draw against Shamsiddin Vokhidov in a 0.5-3.5 defeat.
Vidit Gujrathi was beaten by lower-ranked Nodirbek Yakubboev while Javokhir Sindarov beat the higher rated Nihal Sarin. Jakhongir Vakhidov completed the rout by beating Abhijeet Gupta in 51 moves.
It was a bad day for the US team as they lost both matches on Monday, to Uzbekistan (1.5-2.5) and host Israel by the same margin.
Only Uzbekistan is in the quarterfinals for sure from Pool B. The other five teams including India have chances of qualifying for the next stage. Much depends on the results in the fifth and final round where India takes on the USA.
Meanwhile in Pool A, China, France, and Ukraine are through to the quarterfinals. The last spot in the quarter-finals will go to either Spain or the Netherlands, with Spain favoured to get that spot.
- IND vs WI 2nd Test Live Score, Day 5: India needs eight wickets for series sweep at lunch; Play to resume at 10:45pm IST
- FIFA WWC 2023: Denmark set sights on England after winning World Cup start
- We did not run away from trials: Vinesh, Bajrang issue clarification
- MYFA, Borussia Dortmund hit the ground running with football training camp in Chennai
- Deodhar Trophy 2023: South Zone rides on Kaverappa’s magic to demolish North Zone in its opening game