Gianluigi Buffon has been charged by UEFA following the Juventus goalkeeper's red card and subsequent furious reaction during last month's Champions League quarter-final defeat to Real Madrid.
Juve were on the cusp of taking the tie to extra-time following a remarkable comeback in the Spanish capital, where a Mario Mandzukic brace and Blaise Matuidi's second-half goal wiped out Madrid's 3-0 first-leg advantage.
But Medhi Benatia fouled Lucas Vazquez in the dying moments, prompting referee Michael Oliver to award a penalty.
Buffon's aggressive and prolonged protests earned him a red card from the English official and the veteran Italy international did not let up after the match
"Clearly you cannot have a heart in your chest, but a trash can," he said amid a withering assessment of Oliver's decision.
"On top of that, if you don't have the character to walk on a pitch like this in a stadium like this, you can sit in the stands with your wife, your kids, drinking your Sprite and eating crisps."
UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body will hear Buffon's case on May 31, when a punishment for his red card will be decided and a charge in line with the "general principles of conduct" of European football's governing body will be assessed.
Buffon has captained Juventus to Coppa Italia glory this season and Massimiliano Allegri's side are poised to add a seventh consecutive Serie A title this weekend.
The 40-year-old had previously indicated he would retire at the end of this season but featured in Italy's March friendly against Argentina, even though the Azzurri have no World Cup campaign in prospect.
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Indrajith steps up again as Tamil Nadu asserts control over Saurashtra on Day 2