Aston Villa has completed the signing of Yannick Bolasie from Everton on a season-long loan.
The 29-year-old winger left Crystal Palace for Everton in a reported GBP 25 million move at the start of the 2016-17 Premier League campaign, but he struggled to recreate his best form at Goodison Park. And with the Toffees subsequently bringing in a series of wide options, chiefly Theo Walcott, Richarlison and Bernard, Bolasie's departure has been on the cards for several weeks.
Middlesbrough was said to be close to a deal, but Villa has beaten the Championship leader in the race to land Bolasie. "My main aim here is to get this club promoted," Bolasie told the Villa website. "A club of this stature has to be in the Premier League.
'It's Premier League everywhere you look'
"I looked around both Villa Park and the training ground, and me and my family just said, 'Wow'. It's Premier League everywhere you look. I'm here to make myself smile again and use all my ability to try and help the team. It's great to be here."
Villa was beaten 1-0 by Fulham in the Championship playoff final last season but it has made a strong start to the new campaign. Steve Bruce's men are unbeaten in the second tier and fifth in the table ahead of facing Reading at Villa Park on Saturday.
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures