Football Sports Development Limited (FSDL) and Reliance Foundation announced two initiatives aimed at helping India select its players for the 2020 FIFA U-17 World Cup, which will be held in India.
A four-team under-17 Women's Tournament and ISL Children’s League starting 2019-20 season will be organised by FSDL.
Over 100 girls will participate in the under-17 Women’s tournament organised with the support of the All India Football Federation (AIFF). The tournament is aimed to provide an opportunity for the players to showcase their talent for selection to the Indian team.
The tournament is scheduled in mid-November and will be telecast live on Star Sports, Hotstar and Jio TV.
The ISL Children’s Leagues will feature over 38,000 children in the under-6, under-8, under-10 and under-12 age groups across 12 states over the next three years.
In the first phase, the Children’s Leagues will commence in West Bengal, Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya, covering 15 districts, each having its own league.
FSDL chairperson Nita Ambani said of the initiatives: "Over the years, through the initiatives of ISL Club academies, Reliance Foundation Young Champs, and Reliance Foundation Youth Sports we have made significant progress in promoting football, identifying talent and providing a professional environment for young India to showcase their skills.
“Hosting of the FIFA Under 17 World Cup in 2017 has ignited the interest amongst youngsters towards football and I am certain that the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2020 will further accelerate this journey."
- Manchester United vs Bayern Munich - a trip down memory lane of the historic 1999 Champions League final
- India kits at Asian Games 2023: What do the patterns on the Indian jerseys signify?
- Manchester United goalkeeper Earps wins England Women’s Player of the Year
- Southee to undergo thumb surgery, ODI World Cup decision next week
- England’s Root to get ODI World Cup practice against Ireland