Mexico heads to the World Cup in Russia with a clear objective, to reach the final and win it, defender Hector Moreno said on Friday.
“We are going to play the World Cup to win it,” the Real Sociedad defender said as Mexico prepared to face Wales on Monday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. “For me the important thing is to get home and not have any regrets.
“We know that we are not favourites. We know that no one thinks that Mexico will win. I think the Mexican team is ready.”
Moreno, 30, is part of the 28-player preliminary World Cup squad named by coach Juan Carlos Osorio this month.
He's aiming to play in a third World Cup after South Africa in 2010 and Brazil 2014.
Osorio was also bullish on the chances that Mexico, who have fallen in the last 16 in the last six World Cups, can surprise in Russia.
“We believe that we can go to the final, as athletes and human beings it's our right to believe, because we work hard for it,” Osorio said. “We have a team that will always play to win.”
Mexico, drawn in Group F with Germany, South Korea and Sweden, will debut against reigning champion Germany.
“Mexico, against the giants, always tends to lift itself,” Moreno said.
- Asian Games 2023: Murali Sreeshankar wins long jump silver
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally LIVE, October 1 - Avinash Sable, Tajindarpal Singh Toor win gold; Men’s shooting trap team bags gold too; India 4th with 13 gold, 50 medals
- Asian Games: Harmilan Bains wins silver in women’s 1500m; Ajay Kumar, Jinson Johnson take silver and bronze in men’s 1500m
- Athletics at Asian Games 2023 LIVE updates, Hangzhou 2022: Sable, Toor strike gold; three medals in 1500m; Sreeshankar wins silver in long jump
- IND vs NED, ODI World Cup warm-up: Team India arrives in Kerala for Netherlands game; Virat Kohli to reach later