- October 21, 2022 22:09Match Report
- October 21, 2022 21:44Noah Sadoui wins the Hero of the Match award
“I’m so happy. We had a difficult game. I just want to help the team, I follow my strengths. It was really hard playing in humid conditions today but we kept pushing,” says Noah who assisted the first goal and scored the second.
- October 21, 2022 21:33FULL TIME Chennaiyin FC 0-2 FC Goa
A professional display by the Gaurs. They looked the more potent side bar the first few minutes of the game. Redeem outmuscled Narayan Das and headed home a Noah cross to get his team ahead. Dheeraj was pivotal for Goa as he made multiple saves in the first half. The second half was a bit scattered and Goa again had the better chances. Noah was slightly wasteful and had the opportunity to score multiple times. He finally took his chance and got the second goal in stoppage time. FC Goa moves to the top of the league with this win. The only team with 2 wins out of 2. Hyderabad FC awaits for Goa next, on October 29 while Chennaiyin faces East Bengal on November 4.
- October 21, 2022 21:3190+12’ Goa sees out the match
FC Goa controls the ball on the right edge of the field and continues to frustrate the home side. Referee blows the full time whistle and Goa goes back with three points from the Marina Arena.
- October 21, 2022 21:2790+7’ Chennaiyin builds an attack
Chennaiyin first gets a freekick which is played into the Goa penalty area. A corner for the home team after a deflection. The corner is taken short and the ball then played into the box. The effort has too much power behind it and goes long.
- October 21, 2022 21:2490+5’ The goal that could see Goa top the table
Noah’s goal means that FC Goa will go the top of ISL standings with six points. Still seven minutes for Chennaiyin to pull a rabbit of their hats.
- October 21, 2022 21:22FULL-TIME!!90+2’ Noah scores! FC Goa leads 2-0
That should settle the game. Noah finally gets his goal. FC Goa takes a throw in and the ball is pushed into the Chennaiyin half. Narayan Das makes an error and gets sucked in towards the ball. Noah gets the ball and he is off on his way. He bends the ball into the bottom corner for the goal.
- October 21, 2022 21:2090+1’ Still time for Chennaiyin FC
The 4th official raises the board for 12 minutes of stoppage time.
- October 21, 2022 21:1989’ Arsh nearly costs his team a goal
Arsh gets a cross in the penalty area but he wobbles it away. Chennaiyin players are lurking around and get a sniff off the loose ball. FC Goa’s centre backs are alert and clear the danger.
- October 21, 2022 21:1789’ Chennaiyin FC substitution
In - Joby
Out - Ajith
- October 21, 2022 21:1687’ Karikari offside
The forward tries to sneak in behind the defence but the FC Goa back line is alert and catch the Ghana player offside.
- October 21, 2022 21:1383’ Sangwan hits wide
Chennaiyin creates an attack from the right wing. Sliskovic crosses and the ball beats everyone. Sangwan is charging from the back and he swings at the ball from just inside the penalty area. He has no control and the ball goes sailing over the goal.
- October 21, 2022 21:1081’ A substitution for FC Goa
In - Chothe
Out - Redeem
- October 21, 2022 21:0778’ Sliskovic’s header wide
Chennaiyin plays an ambitious cross from the left flank. Sliskovic meets it but fails to manage any power behind the shot. The attempt takes a deflection and Chennaiyin gets a corner. Nothing comes off it, though.
- October 21, 2022 21:0575’ Dabas caught napping
Chennaiyin tries to work play from the back as Narayan Das passes to keeper Dabas. Two Goa players come charging into the penalty area to press. Dabas panics and can only hit the ball out of play for a throw in to FC Goa.
- October 21, 2022 21:01Two more changes for Chennaiyin
In - Vincy, Ninthoi
Out - Prashanth, Rahim
- October 21, 2022 20:5969’ Tempers flaring in the middle
The two teams are arguing over who gets the ball. FC Goa played the ball out on purpose since Valiente was down injured. But Chennaiyin refuses to give the ball back and Goa playes are not happy. Ikar and Bedia have arguments with Prashanth. Karikari too gets involved.
- October 21, 2022 20:5566’ Not too far was Brison from scoring
Brison skips past a defender on the right edge of the Chennaiyin penalty area and unleashes a powerful attempt. The shot goes over the post.
- October 21, 2022 20:5363’ Changes for the home team
In - Sangwan, Karikari
Out - Jiteshwor, Fallou
- October 21, 2022 20:5162’ Noah misses another chance for FC Goa
Chennaiyin gifts the ball to Goa. Noah breaks out with his pace. He has two options, one on either side but he chooses to take the shot. The attempt goes wide and FC Goa still has just one goal.
- October 21, 2022 20:4857’ Dheeraj stretchered off
The Goa keeper seems to have a serious issue after the clash. He is subbed off. Arsh Singh comes on for the Gaurs in goal.
- October 21, 2022 20:4657’ Two changes for FC Goa
Brandon and Glan Martins are out and Brison and Ayush are brought on.
- October 21, 2022 20:4354’ Dheeraj gets medical attention
The Goa custodian was injured while defending a corner. But he looks okay to continue post the five minutes spent on his treatment.
- October 21, 2022 20:3849’ Noah’s shot saved
FC Goa’s keeper Dheeraj hits a long pass from his own box and finds Noah on the left flank and in the Chennaiyin half. Noah drives ahead, cuts in and shoots. The shot stays low and Dabas saves it.
- October 21, 2022 20:3546’ Chennaiyin starts on the front foot
The very first minute and the home team takes a corner after Rahim’s shot is deflected wide. Nothing comes off the set piece, though.
- October 21, 2022 20:33Second Half about to begin
The players are making their way back to the pitch from the 15-minute break.
- October 21, 2022 20:21HALF TIME Chennaiyin FC 0-1 FC Goa
That is half time. FC Goa should have been at least three goal up now. After Redeem’s opener, the Gaurs have been wasteful. However, they also have to thank Dheeraj Singh in goal who has made some stellar saves to prevent the home team from getting level. Back in 15 for 2nd half.
- October 21, 2022 20:1945+1’ What a poor shot by Glan Martins
The midfielder has missed a sitter. Absolutely unbeleiveable. FC Goa beaks out into a counter attack from a Chennaiyin corner. The Gaurs have a 3-on-1 advantage when the ball lands at Martins’ feet. The shot is weak and goes wide. Carlos Pena is fuming on the touchline.
- October 21, 2022 20:1644’ Dheeraj saves again
Prashanth tucks a pass in the path of Sliskovic who is making a run in behind. The shot is on and the Chennaiyin forward fires it in. Dheeraj, who has come charging down his line, saves it. The ball, however, bobs up and is making its way into the goal on a bounce. Dheeraj quickly turns around and prevents it from going in.
- October 21, 2022 20:1240’ Bedia’s freekick cleared
FC Goa wins a freekick on the right flank after a handball. As always, Bedia has to send the ball into the box but his attempt lacks the right elevation and Chennaiyin is easily able to push it out of danger.
- October 21, 2022 20:1039’ Noah with a long range effort
Noah fights the ball of a Chennaiyin shirt. The forward then moves past Jiteshwor’s challenge and lets one fly. The shot has a bit too much swerve on it and bends away from goal.
- October 21, 2022 20:0837’ Ajith’s cross goes wide
The right back is in the FC Goa penalty area and he tries to dink a ball in but it goes over the goal line and Goa gets a goal kick.
- October 21, 2022 20:0735’ Glan Martins takes a shot
FC Goa has a throw in from the left. Glan Martins gets the ball in, turns to the right and shoots. The ball is just a metre away from being on target.
- October 21, 2022 19:57Another save by Dheeraj!
The FC Goa custodian bails his side out. Glan Martins loses the ball and Rahim Ali takes it on the edge of Goa’s penalty area. He opens the pass to Jiteshwor on the right, but the following shot is saved by Dheeraj.
- October 21, 2022 19:5421’ FC Goa misses!
The Gaurs get a chance on the other end. Noah again breaks in behind the defence and is one-on-one against Debas. His left-footed shot goes wide off the far post.
- October 21, 2022 19:5220’ How has Chennaiyin not scored?
Prashanth makes a sneaky run behind the FC Goa backline. He cuts the pass back to Rahim Ali who strikes. Dheeraj gets a touch and sends the ball crashing into the crossbar. Petar gets the rebound but that too is saved by Dheeraj. That is world class goalkeeping from Dheeraj Singh.
- October 21, 2022 19:4917’ Thapa offside
The midfielder pushes forward in an attempt to get in behind. But Prashanth’s pass is a tad bit late and Thapa is ruled offside.
- October 21, 2022 19:4715’ Even in terms of possession
The teams have shared a 50-50 posession until this point. Chennaiyin has had more threat to be fair. But FC Goa has the lead courtesy of some daring and direct football.
- October 21, 2022 19:43FULL-TIME!!11’ FC Goa scores
The visitors have gone ahead! Noah Sadaoui makes a run into the channel and gets a long ball. He takes the ball to the touchline and gets the cross in. Redeem gets ahead of Narain Das in the box and sends the ball past Dabas. One attack, one goal. Clinical!
- October 21, 2022 19:408’ Petar’s shot saved
Chennaiyin gets a way into the Goa penalty area from the left side. Sliskovic is on a run and he reaches the ball and attempts a shot. Dheeraj saves!
- October 21, 2022 19:386’ A Chennaiyin attack fizzles out
The home team has a sustained spell of possession but nothing comes off it as Chennaiyin’s Mohan fails to collect the ball on the right flank. The ball rolls out for a throw in to Goa.
- October 21, 2022 19:364’ Edu Bedia down
The Spaniard jabs his knee on the ground while blocking a Chennaiyin FC cross on the right flank. He’s fine though as he gets up moments laters.
- October 21, 2022 19:343’ Edu Bedia’s free kick goes over
FC Goa wins a free kickon its first attack. Bedia steps up to take the shot from the right side but his free kick goes well over the cross bar.
- October 21, 2022 19:331’ Thapa with a run
Anirudh Thapa breaks through the middle and into the Goa half. He stops on the edge of the oppostion penalty area to pass to Petar on his right, but it is misplaced and Goa wins the ball back.
- October 21, 2022 19:31Kick Off at Marina Arena
The countdown i sover and the ball is set rolling with Chennaiyin FC taking possession. Let’s football!
- October 21, 2022 19:25Players are on the pitch
The teams make their way through to the park which is followed by the Indian national anthem.
- October 21, 2022 19:24The formations
Chennaiyin FC will play with a 4-4-2 formation while FC Goa has chalked out a 4-2-3-1 shape for its lineup.
- October 21, 2022 19:22The most played fixture in ISL
Kick off is just moments away as Chennaiyin FC and FC Goa get ready to face off for the 22nd time.
- October 21, 2022 19:16Positions in Points Table
Chennaiyin FC sits in 3rd place with four points off two matches. FC Goa is 6th with three points but has played just one game.
- October 21, 2022 19:12Kick Off at 7:30 PM
- October 21, 2022 19:07FC Goa Form Guide
Won 2-1 vs East Bengal
- October 21, 2022 19:05Chennaiyin FC Form Guide
Won 2-1 vs ATK Mohun Bagan
Drew 1-1 vs Bengaluru FC
- October 21, 2022 18:58Head to Head Record
Played - 21
FC Goa - 11
Chennaiyin FC - 8
Draw - 2
- October 21, 2022 18:52Chennaiyin FC vs FC Goa - Goals gallore
The fixture has seen 79 goals over the past seasons of the ISL, the highest of all fixtures.
- October 21, 2022 18:49Chennai hosts FC Goa
- October 21, 2022 18:41Lineups Out!
Chennaiyin: Dabas, Ajith, Vafa, Fallou, Narayan, Duker, Jiteshwor, Thapa (C), Prasanth, Rahim, Petar
Goa: Dheeraj, Seriton, Anwar Ali, Valiente, Aibanbha, Glan Martins, Bedia, Fernandes, Guarrotxena, Redeem, Sadaoui
- October 21, 2022 18:31Preview
Chennaiyin FC will look to continue its strong start to the season as it takes on FC Goa in the Indian Super League on Friday at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai.
The two-time champion began with a come-from-behind away win against ATK Mohun Bagan and then held Bengaluru FC to a thrilling 1-1 draw at home.
Speaking about his team’s performance so far, Chennaiyin coach Thomas Brdaric said, “The result of the last match [against Bengaluru] could have gone in all directions, but we took a point. Having four points from two games is not bad.”
“Goa has some strengths and we have professionally analysed them. It will be a good challenge.”
FC Goa, under its new manager Carlos Pena, has also begun strongly, after beating East Bengal away, through a late Edu Bedia goal.
The last time the Gaurs visited Chennai was in the first leg of the ISL 2020 semifinal when the Marina Machans pulled off a convincing 4-1 win in front of an excited Chennai crowd.
With fans coming back to ISL after two years, Brdaric expressed his excitement about playing in front of such passionate supporters.
“Last week [against Bengaluru] we got a taste and I liked it so much. Looking forward to the next one. As I have said earlier, the spark jumps both ways - stands to pitch. It is key the fans identify with the style with which we play,” he said.
On Friday, Chennaiyin will be without its regular goalkeeper Debjit Majumder, who received a red card in the previous game for a handball outside the penalty box.
“For me, it [Debjit conceding the red card] was a good decision as we would have had to settle for zero points if that goal went in. He took responsibility and sacrificed himself,” said Brdaric.
“Devansh Dabas will replace Debjit. I’m sure Devansh will play on a good level. I like his attitude. Tomorrow will be his chance to play.”
A decisive battle awaits in the midfield between Chennaiyin skipper Anirudh Thapa and Goa’s Spanish orchestrator Edu Bedia.
Thapa, who scored against the Gaurs in the 2020 semifinal, has been used in a more advanced role by Brdaric. Bedia, meanwhile, is still pulling the strings for Goa from deep and showed his influence with a deceptive late freekick to win the game against East Bengal.
Latest on Sportstar
- 2023 Women’s World Cup: Pressure off England after Euros win, says Bronze
- Barcelona stylish but we’ll do more than watch in final: Wolfsburg’s Popp
- FC Goa appoints Manolo Marquez as new head coach
- Thailand Open 2023: Lakshya Sen makes semifinals, Kiran George out
- Mum’s the word as Svitolina reaches French Open last 16