The probe into allegations of official apathy levelled by Olympian marathon runner O.P. Jaisha has been delayed as the athlete is recovering from Swine Flu and will need at least a week’s rest.
Jaisha, who returned from Rio with fever and body ache last week, was hospitalised yesterday after she tested positive for H1N1, two days after another athlete Sudha Singh was found to be suffering from the same illness.
“Jaisha has been hospitalised for H1N1 and at this point in time, the athlete will not be allowed to travel. She needs rest for at least six to seven days,” Sports Authority of India’s Dr Sarla said.
Since Jaisha is not permitted to travel, the probe into the allegations of official apathy levelled by her will be delayed.
The committee, which was formed a Tuesday, was supposed to submit its report in seven days from the date of its formation.
Sports Minister Vijay Goel had constituted a two-member committee consisting of Onkar Kedia, Joint Secretary (Sports) and Vivek Narayan, Director (Sports) to enquire into the allegations.
Jaisha, who had finished 89th in the marathon event, had alleged that no water or energy drinks were made available by the Indian officials during her event, leaving her completely exhausted at the end of the race. She had fainted after crossing the finishing line.
The Athletics Federation of India (AFI), however, has asserted that the athlete herself refused any such arrangement when approached a day before the event.
Jaisha, after returning from Brazil, claimed that officials from all other countries provided refreshments to their runners at designated points set up every 2.5 km.
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24: Mumbai favourite in David vs Goliath quarterfinal clash against Baroda
- ISL 10 LIVE, Jamshedpur FC vs East Bengal: JFC v EBFC, Manzorro, Cleiton start, Indian Super League updates
- Vihari on return to Indian team: If I win Ranji Trophy with Andhra and score enough runs, opportunities will come
- IPL 2024 schedule announced for first 21 games: Full list of matches, fixtures, dates, venues, timings in IST
- Mumbai Indians IPL 2024 Schedule: MI full list of matches, fixtures, dates, venues, timings