Sandipan Chanda made his presence felt in the Tradewise Gibraltar Masters by shutting out enigmatic Grandmaster Vassily Ivanchuk, seeded eighth, in just 23 moves in the sixth round here on Sunday.
In an eventful game that saw a series of exchanges, Chanda sacrificed a minor piece to advance his queen-side pawns and left Ivanchuk with very little choice.
The surprise victory raised Chanda’s tally to five points and gave him a share of the second spot with four others. Hikaru Nakamura continued to lead at 5.5 points following his first draw, against David Howell, in the competition.
Another creditable result for the Indians came from Commonwealth champion Abhijeet Gupta who drew with second seeded Frenchman Maxime Vachier-Lagrave in 32 moves to reach 4.5 points, same as his more illustrious compatriot Pendyala Harikrishna.
- Siddarth Kaul: Winning in white-ball cricket but missing out in red ball doesn’t discredit the players’ skills
- Hockey India: Statements by outgoing officials claiming divisions within the organisation are not correct
- I-League: Sreenidi Deccan takes on Mohammedan Sporting Club in potential title decider
- Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopi Chand - Double(s) delight for Indian badminton
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer