Former Australian batsman David Hussey has announced his retirement from cricket following Melbourne Stars’ exit from the ongoing Big Bash League (BBL) on Tuesday.
Hussey’s hopes of guiding Stars to maiden BBL title were shattered after the side comprehensively lost its semi-final match by seven wickets to the Perth Scorchers at the WACA Ground.
The 39-year-old was uncertain about his future following his side’s loss to Perth as he said, “It’s a bit raw at the moment, a bit emotional. Just wait and see what happens. There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge.” However, Hussey confirmed via Twitter that he is calling time on his impressive career after leading the BBL side to the final and semifinal in his two seasons as captain.
“Yes, the end. I simply can’t do the things I want to do anymore & me playing is stopping younger players from achieving! Had a blast. #thanks,” Hussey tweeted.
Hussey has been with the Stars since the inaugural edition of BBL in 2011, having notched up a total of 855 runs at an average of 26.71 from 48 matches he played over six years.
He had already retired from all other formats of cricket in 2015 and had only played in the BBL since then.
The Victorian middle-order batsman has appeared in 108 international matches — 69 one-dayers and 39 T20s — for Australia, contributing 17 fifties and one century.
Hussey retired from first-class cricket in April 2015. He averaged 52.50 at first-class level with 45 centuries and a best score of 275 but never got an opportunity to play a Test for Australia.
- WPL 2024: Form and captaincy of Mandhana has helped RCB ooze confidence, says Devine
- WPL 2024: Dominant Delhi Capitals hands Gujarat Giants fourth straight loss
- Gujarat Giants’ Sayali Satghare becomes first-ever concussion substitute in WPL history
- Premier League 2023-24: Foden brace helps Man City win Manchester Derby 3-1 over United after dream comeback
- Women’s Super League: Title-chasing Arsenal beats Tottenham 1-0 as Alessia Russo scores