Unbeaten yet without a win so far, former I-League champion Minerva Punjab will need a victory to remain afloat when it takes on Manang Marshyangdi Club of Nepal in its AFC Cup group match here on Wednesday.
Minerva is yet to notch up its first win of the AFC Cup, having played out three consecutive draws in as many matches.
The 2017-18 I-League champion is third in Group E with three points and another draw or a loss will severely dent its chances of advancing to the next round.
Chennaiyin FC is leading the group with seven points while Bangladesh club Abahani Dhaka is second with four points. Manang is at the bottom of the four-team group with just one point.
All the four sides have played three matches each so far and only the top team from the group will make it to the the Inter-Zonal Play-off Semifinals.
The two sides had played out a 2-2 draw in the first leg in Bhubaneswar and Wednesday’s match at the ANFA Complex will be crucial for both Minerva and Manang.
Minerva needs a win to be in contention for a next round berth while a loss will more or less send it out of reckoning.
The situation is even worse for Manang as it needs nothing less than a win to remain afloat. It will be out of reckoning for a next round berth if it loses on Wednesday.
ALSO READ | No off-season in football, says Udanta Singh
In the last match between the two sides, Minerva squandered its lead twice, allowing the Nepalese side to come back each time. Shreyas Gopalan put Minerva ahead early on but Manang Marshyangdi equalised in the second half through Abhishek Rijal.
Minerva did manage to take the lead again through a spot kick courtesy Kareem Omolaja but Oluwaunmi Somide scored seconds after to restore parity.
The Punjab side, still searching for its maiden victory in the AFC Cup, has failed to win a game in its last five official appearances.
- WPL 2024: Asha’s five-wicket haul helps RCB defeat UP Warriorz in a thriller
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- Musheer Khan hits maiden double-century for Mumbai in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal against Baroda
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Anubhav, Kartikeya hand Madhya Pradesh first-innings lead against Andhra on Day 2
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Musheer Khan’s double-century puts Mumbai in strong position on Day 2