Real Madrid right back Dani Carvajal has a calf injury and is not likely to play again until next year.
Tests on Monday showed Carvajal hurt the left calf muscle. He was substituted at halftime of Madrid’s 2-0 win against Granada on Saturday in the Spanish league.
Carvajal is expected to be out for about a month and could miss at least five matches, including four in the Spanish league and the team’s visit to Union Berlin in the group stage of the Champions League. Madrid has already secured first place in the group. It leads the Spanish league along with Girona.
Carvajal could make it back in time for the semifinal of the Spanish Super Cup in Saudi Arabia. Madrid will face Atletico Madrid on Jan. 10.
Lucas Vázquez is expected to replace Carvajal at right back.
Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti has lost several players to injuries, including goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois and central defender Éder Militão with serious knee problems. Also out are Luka Modric, Vinícius Júnior, Aurélien Tchouaméni, Eduardo Camavinga and Arda Guler.
- League Cup final officials must avoid Liverpool bias, says Pochettino
- India vs England Live Score, 4th Test Day 2: ENG 353 all out; Jadeja wraps up ENG tail, Root 122 not out
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 2 Updates: Musheer scores 150 vs Baroda; Andhra loses 2 early wickets
- Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United to take part in U.S. summer series
- Liverpool eyes ‘special’ League Cup final triumph against Chelsea